US History question

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tammymc
User

US History question

Postby tammymc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:54 am

I have been homeschooling for over a decade, but I have a new situation this year. My son is in the Marine Corp, has been to Iraq and will probably go back.

We are doing US History this year (I have 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 9th graders). I have always taught history with living books, but every children's book I have looked at for the periods of WWI, WWII, etc. have someone's brother, father, or other family member being killed or missing in action.

With their brother in the service, I am not sure if it is appropriate to have them reading this right now.

Any suggestions or opinions on this!

Thanks for your input.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

You could try using the My America/Dear America/My Name Is America series. They're faux diaries that cover different periods in history - a Japanese-American boy in the internment camps, a boy fighting in the war, a girl at home..

I think talking about death goes hand in hand with these time periods. Why not explore how the military was then, how it is now, the rate of deaths during the wars and how technology and advances in military structure have contributed to the lower mortality rate of today's soldiers? Knowing the difference can make them feel better about their brother being in Iraq.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

tammymc
User

Postby tammymc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks for your input. I've come to pretty much the same conclusion. I think I'll plow ahead and get ready to do a lot of talking along with our reading. It would not really be covering the history of that period without being realistic about what the wars really cost - in terms of human life.

Return to “History”