High School History

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

radioranch
User

High School History

Postby radioranch » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:51 pm

I understand that we need at least two credits in High School; (1) Social Studies and (1) History.... What did you study?

Ramona
User

Re: High School History

Postby Ramona » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 pm

With my first two kids we did Western Civilization in 9th, world cultures and current events in 10th and a very detailed US history in 11th and 12th. I'm planning to do something different with the rest of my kids, based on the recommendations at http://www.amblesideonline.org and in The Well-Trained Mind.

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 am

State history is good for one credit, and it's a requirement for high school graduation in my state at least.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am

There's no difference between "social studies" and "history." In fact, history *is* part of "social studies.

Most states don't have any requirements for homeschoolers to graduate. Parents who are following what their states require of public school grads will usually do at least three years of social sciences/social studies/whatnot: world history, U.S. history, U.S. government and economics. Some will add a year of world geography, usually in what would be considered 9th grade.

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:16 pm

For us we need to do one year US History, 1/2 year Government, 1/2 economics and then 2 electives. I would say if they are saying social studies they are looking for something like ecconomics, geography, civics/government or even sociology not a straight history course.

Return to “History”