Ancient History

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

radioranch
User

Ancient History

Postby radioranch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:36 am

My son (9th grader) has mentioned in interest in learning more about Ancient History... Any curriculum suggestions??

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm

I would let him decide what he wants to study first and then find books at the library. You could also find a curriculum that has ancient history as an option and just use it for a guideline then find books at the library to study. Just thoughts that would be easy and cheap.

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:15 pm

You might be interested in something from The Teaching Company. Some libraries carry them, so you don't have to always buy them yourself. They have some programs on sale right now though, although the one that I have heard in the history category is not. My boyfriend gets lots of their programs. In history, we have listened to:

Classical Archaeology of Ancient Greece and Rome
(36 lectures, 30 minutes/lecture)
Course No. 3340
Taught by John R. Hale
University of Louisville
Ph.D., University of Cambridge

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescL ... 20Medieval

The instructor is fun and engaging. We listened to the audio version, but they also have a DVD version.

We have also listened to several of their lessons about music composers with Robert Greenberg as the instructor. He is great to listen to and the history is much more fasinating than you might think.

They have all kinds of topics and even some that are meant for high schoolers. Go to http://www.teach12.com

-Brenda

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:29 pm

If you happen to subscribe to Netflix, you can also find programming from the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, BBC, PBS, etc. For example, you can type in "documentaries". Or you can type in "history" or "science" and then select "the Discovery Channel" from the sub-genres on the right-hand side.

-Brenda

radioranch
User

Postby radioranch » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions.. We decided to go with Streams of Civilization Volume 1 and I bought a great series on Teaching Company... Yes, they were HALF OFF!!

Teacher&Coach
User

Postby Teacher&Coach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:03 pm

susanunderwood
User

Re: Ancient History

Postby susanunderwood » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:33 pm

I'd agree with radioranch that ancient history is a really big topic. You don't want your son to get overwhelmed with all of the different eras and civilizations. Go to the library and see what he is most interested in or start watching some documentaries with him. He will quickly gravitate to a particular time and culture. For me, it was ancient Egypt. I've been fascinated with the ancient Egyptians since I was in middle school.

Once you know what he is interested in, you can pick out something that is a little more focused on what he wants to learn about. Teach12 has some interesting courses as does All-in-one Homeschool. Both are worth checking out.
I went from full-time retail to full-time mom. Now I'm a full-time home schooler teaching guitar and every other subject to my kids and loving every bit of it! If I can do it, every mom can.

Flanker27S
User

Postby Flanker27S » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Yes, if that's not your child's thing, you can just give them the basics on all ancient civilizations (as in "Egypt had kings called pharaohs, wrote in things that looked like little drawings and had animal-headed gods", "Roman gods are more or less renamed Greek ones", "Babylonians invented writing") and see if they want to hear more about this or that one.

sophiewinters220
User

Postby sophiewinters220 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:59 am

If you scroll the pages there's quite a few free lesson plans here:

https://www.twinkl.com/resources/ks2-hi ... -stage-2/3

Return to “History”