Worried about my little sister-in-law's homeschooling...

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

CBH83
User

Worried about my little sister-in-law's homeschooling...

Postby CBH83 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 am

ashleyanne
User

Postby ashleyanne » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Maybe they could look into a structured all inclusive curriculum? We are using My Fathers World which is awesome. Also joining a homeschool support group in your area where there would be a chance for her to meet other kids?

tiffers
User

Postby tiffers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 am

I feel ur pain, although we r just starting to homeschool and my girls r not even in kinder yet ive seen other friends who do and its just like u have described. :(

We plan to use my fathers word or the abeka Bc it is outlined for u and u don't have to come up with everything off the top of ur head. Ur FIL can still do some of the things hes doing and add one of the other criculiums to it. I'm leaning more towards the abeka only Bc my inlaws r totally against homeschooling and I can have it does as if they were in school. Www.abekaacademy.org has an option to do everything through videos...meaning an instructor is going over each lesson with the child and then they do the assignments. Then u can choose weather u want to send their assignments in to be graded and recorded (just as it would be in public school) or if u want go do that urself.

Almost all private schools use the abeka program Bc the students r usually a grade level ahead. Its easy to follow and she can go at her own pace Gil shes caught up.

Mima
User

Postby Mima » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:07 pm

That's wonderful that she has such a good relationship with you!

Since she loves to read and write, that should make it really easy to keep up ongoing correspondence with her, which could help her tremendously.

Also, what do you think about this -- What if you suggested she write about the things she would like to do if the sky were the limit (e.g., the things you shared with her that she thought sounded so fun, along with anything else she could think of, perhaps including her feelings of loneliness, etc.) and then share it with her Dad? Maybe he has no idea of how she's feeling and what she really needs. Do you think he would be motivated by this to respond and help her get the social interaction she needs?

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”