Supplemental income ideas for new homeschool mom

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dempstermom
User

Supplemental income ideas for new homeschool mom

Postby dempstermom » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 am

viperfje
User

Just a thought..

Postby viperfje » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:36 am

I also will begin homeschooling my 8yr old daughter this fall..and I work 40 hrs a week..here's the catch..
I work 3rd shift as a cook and make just enough to get by even though I have a college education and could work at whatever I wanted.
by working the hours I do I have all of the morning hours to HS and also have sunday-tuesday off..my shifts are 10 hrs each..
Why do I do it? Because my little girl is more important then any job. and I would rather be with her and watch her grow and learn..
So maybe something like this would work for you..not sure but it is a thought..

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:10 pm

I can give you some sites I have been using to save some extra $ because every little bit helps!

This is a yahoo mail group and I have gotten tons of great tips from here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThriftyHo ... =105984248

This is a forum where themain goal is to save $ and has great tips:

http://www.mommysavers.com/

One more that I just found and LOVE:

http://www.cindysporch.net/index.shtml

Here is one I browse occasionally because it does have LEGITIMATE WAHM jobs that don't cost you $:

http://www.wahm.com/

Good luck to you I am sure God will provide because you are doing a wonderful selfless act for your kid(s).

dempstermom
User

Postby dempstermom » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:56 pm

:D Thank you for all the websites. They are great. Right now I'm working at a preschool 24hours a week plus working 10-15 per week doing some mild janitorial for my husbands dept at our church. The preschool job I will be dropping at the end of this school year. So these websites look great. I just signed up on one of the survey sites. Thanks a bunch.

groovyhsmama
User

Postby groovyhsmama » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:27 am

Groovy
HSing mom to my 5yo ds

ecosafemom
User

Postby ecosafemom » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:45 pm

viperfje:
I have a college education as well, I applaud you for making the sacrifices you are making for your daughter. Have you checked out any work at home opportunities? This worked for our family and it might work for you.

mdsmomct:
That WAHM site is good, but you do have to be careful because WAHM.com is a paid site. There are opportunities on there that are legit, but most are not set up for people to be successful. There are also legit jobs posted there.

I have been blessed to have found an opportunity that is legit and guarantees success. Plus, I don't stock inventory or have parites. It really has made it possible for me to be home with both of my boys & now to be able to continue staying home to homeschool.
Lisa
Mom to Jorge (3) & Diego (4mos.)

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:50 am

ecosafemom- yes, I agree you have to be careful on the WAHM site, it is heavily moderated but I have seen some "scams" slip through the cracks -I should have posted that- thanks for following up for me! :wink:

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:44 am

KidsBesideMe.com
User

I work at home and homeschool

Postby KidsBesideMe.com » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:56 pm

I am able to homeschool my 3 boys and work from home. I am able to work flexible hours and still have time to homeschool.
Karla~Homeschooling Mom of 3
www.KidsBesideMe.com

bittersweet
User

Postby bittersweet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:34 pm

I have been wah for a few yrs now, but I'm not seeing the $$ I orginally hoped for. I've decided to start babysitting in my home. My kids are little, we are unschoolers and I school my kindergartener in the play room, so I see no difference between entertaining one and teaching one or entertaining 3 and teaching 3. I haven't started yet, but I think this is a very viable option for us, and maybe for families in this position.

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 am

hey, i don't have any ideas for you on earning money, but i've read a couple of GREAT books that you might be interested in for saving money. book #1 is "Miserly Moms" & book #2 is "Homeschool Your Child For Free". i checked these out from my local library & book #1 lists many helpful ways to save money, many of which i've implemented & they work. book #2 lists many websites & resources to, of course, homeschool for free.

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 pm

lequetta
User

Postby lequetta » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:15 am

rebecca7
User

Postby rebecca7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Have you considered using an online outsourcing site? I've had tremendous success with oDesk (mostly with freelance writing). What I like best is that there is no cost to apply for jobs, plus they guarentee payment. Best of luck to you! :D

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 am

I used ODesk once when I needed some programming work done in an obscure language. The interface isn't perfectly intuitive, but once you figure it out it seems to work fine.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”