I need help with my schedule!

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mkpierce95
User

I need help with my schedule!

Postby mkpierce95 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:04 pm

~online writing and literature classes for the high school student~
www.write4homeschool.com

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 am

mkpierce95
User

Thanks

Postby mkpierce95 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:54 am

www.write4homeschool.com

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 am

llchart
User

What works for us

Postby llchart » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 pm

I have three children 12, 11 and 7. Mine are a bit older but a few things that are REALLY easy and take NO prep work for younger kids are file folder games.

There are huge books of these at most teacher supplies. You just rip out the pages, give them an empty file folder, scissors and crayon and let them go.

There is a picture of what the game is to look like and they should be able to do it on their own.

My daughter is the youngest and when I just can't spare the time to get her started on something new, I just give her a new game to make. She loves it and ends up playing her new game with everyone when it is complete.

They make different grades, subjects and even seasonal. It's been a life saver in our home.

For older kids we do internet questions. I come up with some off the wall question such as... "What color is the Universe?" or "What is Van Gogh's home being used for today?" or "How many times would you have to jump if you could jump three steps at a time from the top of the Eiffel Tower to the bottom?" and even "What was so special about Earnest Hemingway's son's cat?" The questions are always tied to whatever we are studing at the moment and something just totally off the wall. It's a great way to get kids to read too. They end up reading dozens of pages in the quest for the answer. What is really fun is then giving them a really easy question after they have done the hard ones for a while and see what happens. Usually they get about 10 minutes into the search when the light bulb goes off and they realize they didn't need to get online.
Lara C.
Homeschooling Mother of 3
Founder of www.HELMtravel.com

mkpierce95
User

Thanks Lara!

Postby mkpierce95 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:07 am

Lara,

I love the idea of the information scavenger hunt! My kids aren't real savvy on the internet yet (not that I want them to be yet!), so this would work with books too--great idea!

My youngest ds loves file folder games. I guess maybe they are getting old enough now to where they could assemble them. Up until now, I've been assembling them, and it takes so long--especially because I'm so picky about how they're set up. I'll have to let them loose on them! :D

Thanks for the great ideas!
Kathleen

www.write4homeschool.com

llchart
User

Glad I could helm

Postby llchart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 am

I know what you mean about making sure the folder games look nice and can be used as a learning tool. I have found with my youngest that letting her do it has had many benefits besides just buying me some time.

The games are not quite as "pretty" but she takes great pride in putting it together and I think she enjoys playing them more. Plus just using the thought process to assemble them has been a benefit her logic skills have improved greatly. So, release some expectations of how the games need to look and let them show you their creativity.

"Information Scavenger Hunt", that sound's a lot better than "Internet Q's". LOL.... For the older boys, it's been a huge success.

I will let you know it does get easier, just hang on. My oldest does about 90% of his work unassisted which frees up time for the younger ones.

Our basic schedule looks something like this... This does change depending upon the day and if we go somewhere. I am sure you know how that goes. I don't really plan on strict one on one time with a child, but you should be able to see how it is "built in." It's really just an art of multi-tasking.
9-10 Math (The kids just rotate through for whoever needs help)
10-10:30 CC/DC Latin & Greek Roots/Vocabulary, CLC Reading
10:30-11 CC/DC Language Arts/Journal Writing, CLC Music
11-11:30 CC Internet Q, DC Music, CLC Word Families
11:30-12 Family Game Time (Made for Trade, Stargo, Clue, etc)
12-12:30 Lunch
12:30-1 Afternoon Chores (clean up after Lunch)
1-1:30 Free time
1:30-2 CC Music, DC Internet Q, CLC Art
2-4 Unit Study (We just completed Astromony, Greek/Roman Mythology , Ancient Greece & Rome and Basic Latin)
4-6 Free Time (sometime catch up work)
6-7:30 Dinner and Night time chores
7:30-8:30 CC/DC Reading (They both can read on their own. I am not sure how we started doing the reading after getting ready for bed, but it's worked for us). CLC is read to during the 7:30-8 and she goes to bed.

I hope that helps with your orginal question.

Lara
Lara C.

Homeschooling Mother of 3

Founder of www.HELMtravel.com

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun May 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Everyone has sich great ideas, so I will just list a few of my own, (my boys are 10, 8 and 3)

Chores: one does chores while I work 1on1

Manipulatives: Cuisinaire rods and legos, and counting frogs, buttons...... Let them go, no planning, and lots of learning.

Books: one pile, one couch, one boy, an hour of learning!

Art: find an art book with easy crafts that they can follow the directions too. The libraries have tons of them. Clay, Sculpey, stickers, paper and scissors, magazines for collage....

Creations: We have a box that is designated the "creation box" it is filled with all of those great little trinkets that you know could be used "someday" like yogurt cups, and baby food jars, cardboard tubes, string.... the rest is up to your recycle bin and you!

Last but not least, if you can, let them run around outside! Sometimes if the boys are working hard I will let them trade off, one subject with me, then go outside and trade with their brother. They love all the great breaks they have outside, But that is only of they work hard (is that a bribe? :)
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

homeschoolpop
User

Homeschool Schedule

Postby homeschoolpop » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

We use ACE PACE's Curriculum so when we're working you'll see "PACE work". This is our Daily Schedule set up for our two 10th Graders. Hopefully, whatever Grade your Students are in you may be able to adapt to your needs from our Daily Schedule. I'm sharing as purely an example from which you may be able to set up a daily Schedule for you and yours. And now for your viewing pleasure, The Daily Schedule.

8:30-8:50a.m.-Bible, Christian Flag, American Flag Pledges, Prayer, Read Morning Scriptures from Schedule to read through the Bible in a year. (2-3 Chapters per morning)

8:50-9:50a.m.-PACE work (if any Tests-Tests are first)

9:50-10a.m.-Break (snack, free time, or chores)

10-11a.m.- PACE work

11-11:10a.m.-Break

11:10-12p.m.-PACE work

12-12:30p.m.-Lunch

12:30-2:30p.m. PACE work until goals are completes, break as needed; enrichment after goals are completed.

We School 4 days a Week for 36 Weeks. Our Calendar incorporates Holidays. Our Subjects are Geometry, English II, World History, Physical Science, and 4 Electives (2/Student).
"God does not give us everything we want, but He does fulfill His promises...leading us along the best and straightest paths to Himself." Bonhoeffer

Return to “A Day at Our House”