Homeschool Schedule

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

aprilsparrow
User

Homeschool Schedule

Postby aprilsparrow » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm

This is our home school schedule right now. My son is in first grade. I would love any feedback. Do you think we are doing to much? Please give me your ideas and suggestions I feel like we are doing a lot. Our son loves to be read too. What do you think?

School Schedule

9:30-9:45: Calendar, Flag, teeth, and current events

9:45-10:15: Bible

10:15-11:00: Phonics/ Josiah Reading

11:00-11:30: Break

11:30-12:00: Handwriting

12:00-1:00: Lunch

1:00-1:15: Spelling

1:15-1:45: Math

1:45-2:15: H.S. / Science

2:15-2:30: Read-Aloud

2:30-3:00 Art/ Music

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 am

Hi Aprilsparrow,

One of my boys is also in first grade (the other one is in 4th) and we do more or less the same I think, but not so strict.
They have to be ready, washed and dressed by 8, and then they have time until 9 to do different things: drawing, playing or video (not TV).

Around 9 we start, but if I see they are doing something really interesting, nice drawing, playing really well, I just let them continue a while.

Then we start maths or reading and writing, it depends on what they choose. We do that for not more than one hour, sometimes it takes a lot less, if they work very well and are finished they can play. They have a little break and then we switch, if they did math first then we do reading or the other way round, for about one hour again..

If there is time left before lunch (around 13:00) I sometimes give them a computertask, silent reading, sometimes worksheets on diferent subjects or I read to them or they just play.

In the afternoon we just take a book (children's enciclopedias, science book, animal books or one of the different educational magazines we are subscribed at.......) , I read to them and whatever comes in the book that we don't know (country, names of things and animals.....) we look it up on the internet, a map or other books. Or they do the worksheets and games in the magazines. Sometimes we do a science project or sometimes they watch another video.

They do arts, music and languages in the afternoon from 5 to 7 practically every afternoon.

So I think we do more or less the same. For me it is important that they do maths and reading/writing in the morning for about 2 hours. For the rest we just do this and that, they play a lot, but I think (hope) they learn a lot from the this and that (videos, computerwork, silent reading, magazines, playing, inventing, listening to my reading, drawing.....)

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Last edited by StellarStory on Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Jo from Australia

bendawndavis
User

Postby bendawndavis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:19 pm

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:59 am

My daughter is first grade age, although she is doing mostly second and third grade work. I like schedules, but I found that they make me feel frustrated when my day does not cooperate. We have settled into 2 or 3 long days each week and the remaining are short. I have only one child so she does not really have a playmate until the neighborhood child are home from school and their after school care. So if we are not doing lessons, or lessons cleverly disguised as fun and games, she can be just running around getting stir crazy, but she also can play quietly by herself. She just sees lessons as time with her mother for the most part at this age.

A long day currently goes something like this:
Our lessons begin during breakfast, because my daughter eats very slowly. So she often has a Bible reading/study and French lessons during breakfast.

Piano/music-depends but usually 30 to 60 minutes.

Math-30 to 60 minutes.

Logic-15 minutes.

Geography-20 minutes. (I do this as a stand alone currently only because my daughter really loves geography. Eventually this will be incorporated in history/social studies unit studies with maps and journaling, which I hope to start by summer.)

During lunch, we do a devotion and Bible study and begin Latin and Greek which take only about 15 minutes.

Language Arts fills most of the afternoon with Handwriting, Copy Work, Spelling, and Reading etc.

Science stuff after that, if there is time or games/activities that teach strategy, logic, anatomy, etc. Just playing around with her microscope can keep her fascinated for an hour.

On short days, when we have other activities, like Chess Club, she does Music, Reading, short lessons with Math or Language Arts and/or whatever we did not get to usually Science or a unit study with History. One day a week, when we go to town for piano lessons, she is with me shopping for organic foods and learning about things on the way.

bendawndavis
User

Postby bendawndavis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 pm

That is a good schedule too. Right now my son is 22 months old. We are still doing short days, but when he turns 2 we are moving up to longer days gradually. He is only learning Spanish as a foreign language, but I will be getting French and Latin in there sometime in the future.

I still haven't decided on which instruments to give him a choice to play. My husband plays guitar and piano. I bet he picks guitar, he loves watching daddy play and he has his own elmo one right now. LOL!!

Anyway, if anyone else has any ideas for scheduling that would be very helpful.
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

Linda
User

Postby Linda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:22 pm

That seems like a long day for a first grader. You don't want him, or yourself to burn out. This is after all the beginning of a lot of years of schooling. How about more nature walks, zoo trips, and library visits. And read, read, read...about all sorts of things.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 am

Yes, from the time my daughter was 18 months, we went to the library weekly for a storytime. We stopped when she was around 4yo because I had a business, she had piano lessons, we had begun homeschooling, ut mostly because just about half the children that were going then always had colds. :(

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:04 pm

About going to story time at the library vs. getting books and reading them yourself, with your child:
Our library has story time with the children's librarian. Our 2 yr old won't be able to go to that until she is 2-1/2. They have this really cool room with all kinds of puzzles, magnetic letters on a magnetic wall, puppets, etc. And the librarian always does an easy craft with them. It's 45 minutes long. I think I will take her this summer when she is old enough. They don't let anyone else in that room. It's also the Children's librarian office. I do like that they don't have to register to go to it. Pretty simple.

So, I don't mind because I can go to the library with my 4 children, and it's very quiet during the day. It's a "talking" library, so I can read to and play with my 2, 7, 9 and 12 yr old as long as it doesn't disturb anyone. That's really nice. They have lots of toys, games, puzzles and activities there.
I can take the books home from the library(even my 2 yr old loves picking out her own books) and they read them as we walk home(exercise, yea!) and stop at the grocery store to get food for dinner or maybe just a snack :)
Our town is small, and sometimes I tend to complain about it. Now that I tell you all about it, it doesn't seem so bad....
There are bigger libraries that are not within driving distance. So, I make a point to inter-libary loan books. Sometimes they purchase books that we have requested.
It would be hard for me to give up going to the library. I think nursing my 2 yr old has helped her keep from getting sick. I don't really worry about that too much. I just wish some of the other homeschool families would come there more often.

MomofKS&J
User

Postby MomofKS&J » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:07 pm

sunnie_skys
User

Postby sunnie_skys » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Sunny

mamaofmany
User

Postby mamaofmany » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 pm

I have 4 kids 8,5,3,2. Our day starts like this.
7 am wake up, tidy rooms, make bed, get ready for day
7:30 Older two empty dishwasher, 3 yr old empties dryer, older girls empty washer.
7:50 breakfast
Next older child does her Bible study while I read Bible studies to younger kids.
Next we all walk to Leslie Sansone. 1 mile walk.
Next oldest does Math language and spelling words. I work on Phonics and Math with 2 middle kids, baby plays with puzzles and other educational toys.
Then we have lunch.
After lunch older kids practice their instruments ( violin and guitar) for 30 min. Then 5 yr old has a rest time while babies nap. Oldest reads for 1 hour while I have a quite time in my room. ( I am an introvert to this time is essential for me).
Then older girls and I work on writing, lapbooks, any help with math that is needed. unit studies Or quizing that needs done. 5yr old does crafts at this time.
Babies get up and they play quietly in playroom, while we finish up.
Once all work is finished they may play, read, do computer games, or crafts.
We do not have a set start finish time, some days we are so excited about a subject we just keep going, others we finish a project early and call it a day, work on chores ect.. :D :D
God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called!

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:20 pm

milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:06 pm

The nice thing about homeschooling is that you don't have to switch gears when a bell rings like they do in public school. It is difficult for some kids to go directly from one subject to the next w/ out a break in between. Some schools have moved to block scheduling to decrease the number of transitions throughout the school day.

Has anyone tried more of a "block" approach where they will focus primarily on two or three subjects a day and then come back to these same subjects two days later instead of the very next day and work on 2 or 3 other subjects on the days in between?

I'm not sure how it would work w/ little ones whose attention span is limited.
Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Return to “A Day at Our House”