My typical school day (and how I came to be homeschooled)

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Morgan
User

My typical school day (and how I came to be homeschooled)

Postby Morgan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 pm

My mom has been homeschooling my older brother (15 years old) and myself (13 years old) for almost a year. When I was in a public school,
I was taking all accelerated classes and getting A's in each and every one of them. After one marking period of that year, I realized how bored I was becoming. I wasn't learning anything and I felt like I could be doing so much more. My brother I think was feeling the same, and a large majority of his schooling consisted of watching children's movies (can you believe it!?) in his high school classes! So I discussed it with my mother, who had recently been mentioning homeschooling to us, and she had a chat with the school counselor and principal about moving me up one grade to see if it worked better for me. But, no, of course they resisted advancing me, and we came to the decision that mom would withdraw both me and my brother from public schools.

So now, I am happily a few grades ahead of my age level and working on 9th/10th grade subjects. My brother and I are basically self-taught, as we are "gifted" as my mother says, and we can figure things out easily on our own. Mom does the grading, etc. and she writes out our planner every day. She also provides us with worksheets/tests/quizzes and links to online tests and such that go along with out textbooks. Here's my typical weekday for this month:

6:30-8:30 AM: Get up/shower/eat breakfast
9:00-9:30 AM: Check planner/agenda and get out assignments/textbooks I need for the day, begin working on reading 1 Physical Science chapter from my textbook and then take the online quizzes and math practice for the chapter. (Sometimes I don't start with Physical Science, but lately I have been.)
9:50-10:25 AM: Start reading a chapter of Geometry textbook, then complete the Practice questions at the end of the chapter (usually around 25 problems to work out.)
10:30-10:50 AM: Begin reading 1 chapter from my Late U.S. History textbook, then complete the chapter Crossword. Once finished, take the online chapter test.
11:10-11:30 AM: Complete any specified English Language Arts/Writing assignments.
11:35-12:00 PM: Work on any projects (right now it would be the Political Writing Essay) or any extra work.
12:00-1:00 PM: Eat lunch
1:00-3:00 PM: Free time/P.E.
3:00-5:00 PM: Chores/free time
5:00-6:00 PM: Dad gets home, Mom begins dinner and sometimes I help
6:30-7:30 PM: Eat dinner
8:00-10:00 PM: Free time/movie
10:00-10:30 PM (occasionally later): Bedtime

And that about sums it up! We have year-round school, so the days I get off are the holidays such as Christmas, Easter, my Birthday, etc. and on the occasional cross-country trip we tend to have (this year is was Canada!)

Although I have 'P.E.' listed as 1:00-3:00, it often takes place over the entire day, depending on when the weather is nicest or when we have extra time. My brother and I get plenty of exercise considering we often go on bike rides and skateboard. Also, I would have many more extra subjects in my schedule like electives and non-required subjects, but I have recently finished the two I ws working on (Astronomy and Art History), and I will be waiting until the new semester in September to begin new ones.

Glad I could share!
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

LasPlagas
User

Postby LasPlagas » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:13 am

Return to “A Day at Our House”