Finding time to correct work

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

su
User

Finding time to correct work

Postby su » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:29 am

lydiavj
User

Postby lydiavj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:08 am

Who Says Stay At Home Moms Can't Have It All?

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:51 pm

I do the same thing. When my sons are done with a sheet, they bring it to me, I look it over to make sure it is right and then they can move to the next thing. I know me, if i don't do it right away, it won't get done :wink:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

su
User

Postby su » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm

That used to work when the kids were little and the work was easier to correct (and when there weren't so many of them), but now, someone is always waiting for my time next. :? Any moms with highschool age kids with ideas on how to tackle the corrections? I suppose I just need to get more disciplined about it, but sometimes other moms have ingenious ideas to help in these areas!

su
User

Postby su » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:09 pm

And just to let you ladies who replied know, I am going to try to be more disciplined and correct as many papers as I can, when they finish them! I don't want to sound like I am taking your response lightly! :)

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Although my older brother and I are self-taught, our mother does all the correcting. We are both high school students. There are some things (like online self-check quizzes) where we take the quiz, then it does an auto-correct, but on our paper assignments, we have a folder we put everything in. Because it is just us two being homeschooled, my mom is able to correct all the papers from the folder at the end of each marking period and file away our m.p. grades on an online grading program without doing too much work. Usually I help her organize the papers into subjects, then file them into piles by date. Then she does all the grading (often she will go off of teacher reference book answers that she has, or she corrects them from internet sources.)
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 pm

I have 5 ranging in ages from 14 (9th grade this year) to 7 (2nd grade this year). When the kids finish a subject they hand it in in the "hand in" pile, as I grade it I place it in the "corrections" pile if there are corrections or the "hand back" pile if there are none. I have two seperate piles so I don't have to tell them everytime they come if they have something to change. If there seems to be something they need help with I put a note on it to see me. Every once in a while I won't get the grading done before the end of the school day, I do it at night after they are in bed and lay it on their desks so in the morning they have their stuff. It is a lot of work, but I personally want to see how they are doing, so I do all their checking.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 pm

RShaw27
User

Postby RShaw27 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I try to grade as it is being turned in. SOmetimes I can't get right to it, but it is all graded and handed back by the end of the day for all three.
Rebecca, SAHM to 3

TriciaC
User

Postby TriciaC » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 pm

I divide the kind of assignments I give my 8 year old into two main categories:
1. Workbook based assignments : Spelling, Math, vocabulary, reading Comprehension, Foreign Languages
2. Eclectic assignments: Composition, essays for notebooking, experiments, drawings for notebooking.

For Category 1 assignments, I grade them immediately ( well, almost always!) so that I can give immediate feedback, point out errors, etc. Besides, these assignments are easier to grade because of the workbook format.

For Category 2 assignments, I take about 2 days to grade. Firstly, these assignments are usually a compilation on one theme and therefore would be done over a matter of days e.g. the Olympics in Ancient Greece, which may consist of a drawing, a short essay and some a mini-book of games played. I then give comments on presentation ( is there an evident effort to make the work neat and organized?), content (were the main points covered?) and writing (composition).

I hope this helps :)
"...when my soul's form bends towards the East.
There I should see a sun, by rising, set,
And by that setting endless day beget..."

mindy8
User

I am with you

Postby mindy8 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:18 pm

I have eight munchkins and have an impossible time correcting everything. However, I am thinking I would be more effective and productive if I could use all the energy from worrying and guilt and pour it into homeschooling. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Return to “A Day at Our House”