Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Morgan
User

Schedule

Postby Morgan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Our day has sort of a schedule "outline", if you know what I mean. Although we have a planner/agenda that our mom sets out for us daily, my brother and I are mainly self-taught and we have no particular order in which we complete our assignments. We do have due dates for our assignments, tests, exams, and projects, but besides that we have no real solid schedule, and it works perfectly fine for us.
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

my3boyshomeschool
User

Postby my3boyshomeschool » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:00 pm

I have a loose routine rather than a schedule. I find that everytime I try to make a schedule, something happens to interrupt it!! There are certain days where we definitely have places to be at certain times so we do follow a schedule to that extent. However, we don't do subjects in a certain order or for a certain period of time, we just go through our checklist in any order we see fit for that day. :D
www.homeschoolblogger.com/my3boyshomeschool
www.thehomeschoolershangout.com
Mary, wife of Brett, Mother to Lucas, Bradley and Nolan

homeschoolmommy
User

Postby homeschoolmommy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Yes, we dont do schedules around here. We have been been just been flying around by the seat of our pants for the past year. we tried schedules the first year and they defiantely did not work. no more schedules for us.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 pm

ilovemy2bunnies
User

reading this....

Postby ilovemy2bunnies » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:57 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 pm

momagator
User

Postby momagator » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 pm

We have a schedule that is structured but pretty loose at the same time.

We do our devotions first (usually while I am waking up with a coffee :roll: )

I start our first day of the year with LA, Math, SS and then science. The time spent on each subject varies half an hour to an hour. We then rotate the subjects every day so that the last subject finished the day before becomes our first subject the next day. After these subjects are finished the kids go onto the computer (spanish or school games), arts or whatever they want (except t.v.) usually for however long they want.

I found that the earlier we get going the better (I don't mean EARLY though, around 9:00 a.m. or so) but this hasn't always worked out - there are times when I am not well and need to sleep in. This was more of a problem when the kids were younger and wouldn't do any work unless I was there to "stand guard" but lately they have been taking the initiative and started working without me! So our devotional sometimes ends up in the middle of the day or not until the evening (which is o.k. too!).

Of course everything goes out the window every once in a while - like needing a break from the routine, field trips, doctor appointments, my mother showing up for a week :shock: ...you get the picture. LOL

We have tried all sorts of schedules, unschedules and everything in-between and this is what seems to be working the best for us. I guess even though most would consider it a schedule it really doesn't feel like one to me, it feels more like a routine (if that makes sense). Anyway, that is our "normal" day.

Have a good week all.

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Scheduling time is like budgeting money - there's never enough to go around but it's helpful to have some idea of where it's all gone. One suggestion is to keep a record of how you spend your time. Every hour or half-hour write down what you are doing in just a word or two. After a week or so, just look at what you've done and you will automatically get some ideas for streamlining, rearranging for better use of time.

We have a simple schedule form on our site - it's free, just print and use. It's shown on this page and you can download the attached file for easier printing: http://www.everygoodpath.net/SimpleSchedules
Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas
http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

lambie
User

Postby lambie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 am

Hi there, I'm new here and have just loved all the postings!!! Great place to be!! I have a dd that is now 10....we've schooled her since preschool and she has always been an early riser, thankgoodness we both are!! Anyway, we school through the morning hours and by 12:00 noon we are almost done and wind up by 1:00. We are flexible in what to do next type thing but if we don't get it done up front in our day, we wouldn't be much good by late afternoon and zero is ever normally done at night...that is our kick back family time!!
We just love homeschool and the freedom it gives us...being able to study/learn what your interests are is certainly a wonderful day!!!!!!!! We love the 3-4 hours of afternoon fun on days with our homeschool group too!!!! Ballet and tap are a super P.E. as well , which she enjoys in the afternoons!!! So many things to explore!!! Have a great school day, Katy

Return to “A Day at Our House”