Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:56 am

I know what you mean and my parents are great at giving me a guilt trip about having to be on a schedule.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

janzeiger
User

We sleep in..

Postby janzeiger » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:53 am

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 pm

That's how we are too. I just wish my parents would lay off. My dd is actually a grade or 2 ahead and thriving. We have a lot of behavioral issues but that is a diagnosed problem and yet another discussion all together.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

jan
User

The joy of hsing!!!!!!!

Postby jan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 pm

:D I AM SO GLAD TO HEAR THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE STRUGGLING WITH SCHEDULES!!!!! :roll: I HAVE MADE UP ATLEAST 2 SCHEDULES WITHOUT ANY SUCCESS OF FOLLOWING THEM THROUGH. AS I LOOK BACK THOUGH ,I REALIZE THAT THE KIND OF PERSON THAT I AM I WAS ACTUALLY ONLY SETTING MYSELF UP FOR FAILURE. :oops:
I DO BELIEVE THAT SOME KIND OF ROUTINE IS IMPORTANT THOUGH AND THAT KIDS FAIR BETTER WHEN THERE IS A ROUTINE OF SOME SORT. :lol: HSING IS A JOY 2 ME I JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER AND KEEP THAT IN PERSPECTIVE. I ALSO HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT FLEXIBILITY IS KEY AND THAT IS ONE OFF THE REASONS WE DECIDED TO HS IN THE 1ST PLACE!!!!
PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE :!: :wink: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 am

hatcher1999
User

What is a schedule?

Postby hatcher1999 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Well I can tell that I am not the only Chicken whose Rooster is off duty. What I mean is since we have started hs we have been watching movies late ( my oldest daughter does with us.) Then not waking up til almost 11am I mean that goes for all of us LOL But the kids seem happier and thats what counts. That when we sit down to do "school" they are well rested and ready to see what is the plan for the day :) Thanks Brenda for bringing up this topic it makes me feel better about being apart of this Forum.
[/code]

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:39 am

I normally don't get up before 8 and there are plenty of mornings I don't get up until 9. My kids get up earlier than I do and my 3 year old will come and snuggle after DH has left for work, but my 6 year old will usually hop on the computer and play video games until I drag my sorry self out of bed.

I'm finding that schedules don't work for me either and my kids seem to do ok without them. They always ask what we're doing tomorrow as they're going to bed so I get to roughtly lay out the day for them. Lots of times we don't do this or that and my son will remind me that we didn't do X. I tell him that's ok because we'll do it later and that that's a product of having a random mom so he may as well deal. Hehe

I'm just Type A enough that if I go through the trouble of making up a schedule, I HAVE to stick with it by the minute. I've spend many days going "Rats! 2 minutes behind!" :roll: I homeschool to get away from drama, not create it.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 pm

LOL That sounds like me. I stress myself out over any type of schedule or goal.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:34 pm

i have a lot of doctors apts coming up and they are all in the Am so we are changing our schedule a bit. When the 2yo takes a nap, we start school. that way we start without distractions, and we usually don't have anywhere else to go for the rest of the day. we'll see how it works
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

bowenwendyrb
User

yeah

Postby bowenwendyrb » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 pm

man i am so glad i read all of ya's responses. i just started hs and already we have had days that we didnt get up til 10 and i felt guilty that we did not get much done :oops: but after reading these unschedules it makes me feel better to know that im not the only one who doesnt stick to a strict schedule sometimes my daughter wants to do work at 9PM amazing huh :?: :lol:

LauraLeigh
User

Postby LauraLeigh » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:26 am

This is my second day of homeschooling my 8 year old son, and i can already tell that the schedule i have laid out will soon burn him and me out. I think i am trying to pace everything like school and try to fit everything in between 8-3. Knowing i have to log a certain amount of hours in my state has me stressing. I want to be more flexible, but don't know how to and still keep up with my requirements for Missouri. :?

I love reading everyones posts, i don't feel so alone having issues with schedules! :D

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Keep in mind that homeschooling is very different from public school. It doesn't take 7 hours at home to teach the amount of information that needs to be taught - there is a lot of wasted time in the public schools. My 6 year old and I go for about 2 hours, 3 absolute max. We do each subject in 10-15 min chunks with more time as necessary (like if he's really involved in a project or enjoying something). I spend time with my 3 year and we do 5 min chunks and we get as many of those in as we want to/can.

If you look at public school material, they don't actually get a lot done during the day because of all the time wasted. I know at two of our elementary schools, they don't even address each subject every day (I cheated and peeked at the class schedule when I dropped my son off for after school classes lol Shhhhh!). I think the amount of time kids spend in school throws a lot of homeschoolers off because they try to replicate school at home. That's the beauty of homeschooling! It's so different from traditional schooling and you can play around with subjects, curriculum, styles and schedules and see what works for you. Don't freak if you don't fall into a groove right away. It took us a good year to find a style, curriculum and schedule that works for us.

Plus there's a ton of help here. Ask away and I'm sure someone has been through it and there are bound to be a ton of other opinions.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Vera
User

Postby Vera » Sat May 19, 2007 7:55 pm

bigreys5
User

Postby bigreys5 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:19 pm

We do not do schedules. I work nights, and sometimes if there are errands or such during the day, we do not do schoolwork for that day. But we do school year round, so I figure the one or two days a week we miss, we make up for in the summer. I do not do school on the weekends or holidays either.

We do have routinges, though. Wake up, eat breakfast, watch tv or playtime for them/ housework time for me, lunch, schooltime (if we are doing it that day), playtime, snacktime, dinnertime, bath time, bedtime.
Batrice - Kings Academy
Mommy to: Gabriel(2000)allergic to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish and Michael(2003)
Step mom to: Isaiah(1996) andRebekah(1997)

Carmella
User

Re: Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Postby Carmella » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Carmella
Mom to 8 great kids and 5 granddaughters
http://www.thedunkinacademy.com

Return to “A Day at Our House”