Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Describe your average homeschool day and give new homeschoolers an idea of what to expect!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

WAHMBrenda
User

Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Postby WAHMBrenda » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:12 pm

In all honesty they don't work for me and my family and I'm slowly doing away with them more and more. We wake up when we want (unless we have somewhere to be), eat when we're hungry, homeschool when we're ready. The only thing we really do on schedule (besides the stuff that has to be done on schedule) is go to bed at 8 or 9 PM LOL Is anyone else like this? I hope I'm not alone and ruining my daughter!
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I personally can not live without some kind of schedule. I would get absolutely nothing done, ever! But mine isn't hard core or inflexible. I start with a list of what I must get done todayand then what I would like to get done today. I make an order and only mentally say it needs to be done by such and such a time. Rarely do I follow my schedule to a tee. But I just have to have something that is driving me through out the day. I do know that some people do not have to work that way, but I am not one of them. :)

As far as ruining your daughter? Well, if she is learning and growing, then I doubt you are ruining her ;)

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:42 pm

We wake up and go to bed at set times, that's the only set in stone schedule we have. As for school, I plan out what I would like to accomplish for the week. No schedule, just a list of objectives. :D

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:20 pm

My boys have a list of things that they check off each day. I can be flexible about what they mean, (uno for math, writing aletter for handwriting, and spelling) but that is about it, we start with a bible study and prayer and then they decide what to do next.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:47 pm

Maybe I border on unschooling for the both of us LOL Since it's only the 2 of us and we get things done then I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. My daughter is learning and growing. I have a clean house and a decent business. I should just relax I guess but my parents are always harping on me LOL I know I should probably half way ignore them LOL
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

Ramona
User

Re: Does anyone find that schedules don't work?

Postby Ramona » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 pm

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks Ramona! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. Sometimes I just get worried about the what ifs. It seems that we do a little homeschooling each day even if it's in an unschooling format so maybe I should just relax. LOL Thanks!

Starlily
User

Postby Starlily » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:28 pm

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:21 am

Everything my daughter plays or watches is educational LOL I tend to lean to the unschooling side of things but do do some workbooks and such with her so that we have something in the portfolio.

teenutter
User

Postby teenutter » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:29 am

schoolymum
User

hi all

Postby schoolymum » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:46 am

gosh it makes me feel better reading you all.
I have recently in the week got up with a very early start.I wont make you cringe with what time.
no,I have been getting up at around 5.30am,taking some time out,gotting a bath,then waking the kids around 6,well the 2 year old,he is ready to be awake at that time,thats why i started the early mornings in the first place.If i sleep through to msay 9pm.he is in a total bad mood all day,and his scream pierces my brain. :shock: where as i find,I get up early,have a nice breakfast together,then do a little math,or writing,the toddler likes to do some drawing,its beautiful,nice and peaceful.
then jayke(toddler)is good for a morning sleep.so we catch up on some together.
so far so good,this is a new routine,and although its realy hard for me to change from a night owl to a morning bird,I can handle it as it works.
I guess my point(i get there in the end...he he he)is that you do whatever works for you and your family.whatever feels right.and way I see it,if the klids are happy,then ,well,its working. :D

good luck to all

amanda
there are short cuts to happiness and dance is one of them xx

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:05 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

schoolymum
User

:)

Postby schoolymum » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:12 am

there are short cuts to happiness and dance is one of them xx

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:31 pm

I need to remember this too "Do what works best for you and your family"

I always feel guilty if we sleep in or don't get a certain amount of stuff done which in turn makes me stressed and cranky which doesn't accomplish much.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Return to “A Day at Our House”