Homeschooling with the King James Bible

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Kat
User

Postby Kat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 am

bubbaansissy
User

Postby bubbaansissy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:16 pm

wow, kat, i've never heard of this. sounds interesting.
Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things....

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......

judyh
User

Do you use a christian homeschool curriculum as well?

Postby judyh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm

judy

Enjoying homebound education and homeschool curriculum with my 4 year old dd
Attending Parenting Classes helps me as a homeschool mum

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:52 am

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I don't use it exclusively for my curriculum but we do use it exclusively in our house and for our lessons. I am not sure how it would work with no other curriculum though. Please let me know how it goes. I have never heard of this and am curious how it is done. Personally I would need some kind of curriculum to make sure I have hit all the fine points.

Question...How will you go about teaching things like biology or chemistry? I am not trying to discourage you! This is a serious question; I am just curious since I have never heard of this before.

Good Luck!

okiron
User

Postby okiron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 am

- Rina - Discovery Toys

Mother to: 1 child, 1 dog, 2 cats, 1 rabbit.

Kat
User

Postby Kat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 am

Since there were several questions about my initial post, I thought I'd better reply. After MUCH prayer, the Lord led us to use Bedell Curriculum. Even though it is called a "curriculum", it is very (King James)Bible centered and we use our own Bibles. Mr. Bedell's thinking is that every subject should be centered on the Bible. It is a chronological study of the Bible and how the Bible relates to the sciences, world history/geography, apologetics, psychology, etc. The Bible is the main textbook (which is what we wanted in the first place), and for older children, they would also use other resources to do research. We do not want our homeschool to be all academics, but first and foremost, about our children having a solid knowledge of the Scriptures and a real, saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. I used to have a curriculum that was very academically oriented, very advanced. I found myself pushing my children to go, go, go, get the material done...so that we could maintain the "schedule." I also realized that there wasn't enough Bible in our previous curriculum and that it was mostly about academics. The material in one day's lesson was just too much, causing some stress. The Lord began to show us that even though we have homeschooled our children from day one, we had basically brought the traditional, public school into our home(because that is the way we grew up.)
So, when I said earlier that we wanted to homeschool with the King James Bible, we are still doing this, but using Mr. Bedell's "curriculum" as a guide.
If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help. May God richly bless your homeschool this year. I believe to be a homeschooling mother is one of the highest callings the Lord could give us :)
In Christ Jesus,
Kat

Nadae
User

Postby Nadae » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:36 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! I have looked at S.O.W. (Student of the Word) and the Heart of Wisdom curriculum (this last one does not start until 4th grade and the curriculum has not been finished - although they give you TONS of resources to help you finish on your own). My main desire in homeschooing is to have the Word be our main focus, not at the cost of academics but rather as the basis for our academics. I have not heard of this one and will be adding it to my list! Please respond back with how it is working, what you like, don't like, etc.

karengstafford
User

Postby karengstafford » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:51 pm

We have used the King James for copy work. That then leads naturally to vocabulary work on unfamiliar words.

Wilkeway
User

Re: Homeschooling with the King James Bible

Postby Wilkeway » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:49 pm

I recently bought Diagramming The Scriptures: Systematic Approach to Sentence Diagramming which uses the KJV bible for sentence diagramming. Sorry I haven't had time to work out the details and this late in the year I'll wait to implement it next year but I just wanted to share the above information with you because I too will use only the KJV bible and curriculum that uses only the KJV bible as well.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”