Science Curriculum that compares origins of Earth Theories?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

rinibean
User

Science Curriculum that compares origins of Earth Theories?

Postby rinibean » Wed May 04, 2016 10:54 am

Hi,

My son is heading into 3rd grade next year, and I'd like to start a science curriculum. Thus far we just kind of read on our own.

I'm interested in finding a science curriculum that isn't afraid to compare and contrast the scientific theories and biblical theories for the origins of the earth and the origin of man. I want my kids to be prepared for all the different theories they will encounter over their schooling, whether it is with me or elsewhere. I want them to be able to compare and contrast all of the theories.

I'm not sure that I will find what I'm looking for in one curriculum, so I am willing to pair some things together. But, especially with a young earth curriculum, I want it to have some "meat" to it. Where science and religion conflict, I'd like it to refute the scientific evidence, not just give a basic "the bible says the earth was created in 7 days so it was" argument. I want to see why the conclusions were drawn, and why they believe other scientists are wrong.

I would love also for a secular curriculum to address the scientific basis for why young earth creationists are wrong, and the process by which those conclusions were reached.

Something as simple as fossils, for example, really are taught so differently depending on the secular or religious point of view of the curriculum. We are doing dinosaurs right now, and many of the religious books are very shallow and don't present much evidence.

My goal is to give my kids a very well rounded view of scientific and religious perspectives, and I'm not sure how to accomplish this without spending a ridiculous amount of time compiling bits and pieces of information on my own. Can anyone suggest a couple of options for accomplishing this? I realize that all this will not be tackled in 3rd grade, but I would like to find a curriculum or two that we can stick with over time. The origins of the earth are relevant when discussing so many other scientific topics that will be covered in the elementary years, so I feel like I sort of need to find two curriculums, one secular and one Christian, that follow a similar sequence that we can do together.

willyanmorgan
User

Re: Science Curriculum that compares origins of Earth Theories?

Postby willyanmorgan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:08 pm

I have taught Biology at a homeschool co-op for several years and would be glad to provide you with my list of links. I use it to provide research and information for students to form their own opinions about the origins of the earth and species. It covers the whole spectrum from straight evolution to young earth creation. Although I created it for high school students, perhaps it would give you a good place to start.
If you'd like it, please email me at gnaturewithgnat@gmail.com

wuckertrhea
User

Postby wuckertrhea » Tue May 09, 2023 2:51 am

For several years, I taught biology at a homeschool co-op, and I'd be happy to share my collection of links with you. In order to let pupils create their own beliefs regarding the origins of the world and species, I utilize it to present research and knowledge. It encompasses the full range, from simple evolution to young earth creation. Despite the fact that I made it for high school students, maybe it will help you get started. https://monkeyfarm.io/

ruimas
User

Postby ruimas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:34 am

In navigating college assignments, https://enhelp.org/assignment I've found time management to be key. Breaking tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and setting deadlines for each has helped me stay on track. Common challenges include procrastination and feeling overwhelmed by workload diversity. To combat these, I prioritize tasks based on deadlines and importance, seeking help when needed. One success story involves utilizing study groups for collaborative learning, which boosted my understanding and grades significantly. My tip for struggling students is to leverage resources like campus tutoring centers and online tools for time management. Together, let's foster an environment of support and academic success

optimalplover
User

Postby optimalplover » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:37 pm

Apologia Science: Apologia offers science curricula from a Christian perspective that integrate biblical teachings with scientific concepts. Their "Exploring Creation with..." series covers various science topics, including astronomy, geology, biology, and more. The curriculum presents scientific evidence while also discussing biblical interpretations of the topics. For example, https://scratchgeometrydash.com "Exploring Creation with Astronomy" explores the solar system and stars while discussing creationism from a young-earth perspective.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”