Choosing Curriculum

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MomOf3
User

Choosing Curriculum

Postby MomOf3 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:02 am

My oldest child will turn five next month and I will begin homeschooling her in August. I am in the process of choosing curriculum. I am unsure about what Bible material to use. We are Southern Baptist. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Margie Hale

Theodore

The problem with most Bible curriculum is...

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:32 pm

The problem with most Bible curriculum is it turns Bible study into homework. Also, any curriculum geared towards 5-year-olds is going to give the same basic 10 or so Bible stories (Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors, Daniel and the Lion's Den, etc.), and ignore 99% of the important material. Why not just print out a Bible Reading Plan and read through the Bible, explaining what things mean as you go? You might also look at Through the Bible in Felt, which provided us with a lot of fun illustrating and narrating Bible stories when we were kids. A new set is rather expensive, but you could share the cost with a local homeschool group, or locate a used one on EBay or elsewhere, and I'm sure it would get your daughter looking forward to Bible study every day :)

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”