can't pass the SAT math

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

laurielev
User

can't pass the SAT math

Postby laurielev » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:54 pm

What do you do whaen your "kid" cannot pass the math portion of the SAT with even a 500?.... they have so many other gifts and abilities...which are all over looked because of this. Thanks!
laurie levasseur

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:12 am

I would consider getting a tutor that will tutor the child specifically for the SAT. A really good prep program can make a huge difference. It costs but if you are looking at scholarships they can also pay off far more than they cost.

laurielev
User

Postby laurielev » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks! We have no jobs at present but we have looked into it.
laurie levasseur

prepst
User

Postby prepst » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:47 am

Did your s/d practice with the Official SAT Study Guide?

I would suggest doing as many practice tests from there. SAT math can definitely be improved through practice. Is your kid having trouble with the math problems, or having trouble finishing all the problems on time?
SAT Prep & College Admissions Blog
Prep Street

KnowledgeisPower
User

Postby KnowledgeisPower » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 am

It is a bit unfortunate that our society tries to place circles into square holes but sometimes that's just how things work. As you said he has so many other talents but you are right, there is a ton of emphasis placed on Math in our schools and colleges. A math SAT score can have a powerful impact on where your son can get his college education. Even most online degrees geared toward specialized fields require math classes. I would suggest a tutor geared towards raising SAT scores. They really can make a difference. Once in college, most schools offer math labs that he could use to make it through those challenging courses. Good luck!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 am

SAT math only goes up to Algebra II, if I remember correctly, and I'm afraid that everyone these dayis expected to be at least baseline competent up to that level. I guess the question is, why does your child need to pass the SAT? Is it to get into college? I'm guessing he's a music or art or literature major or something like that, and it can be hard to get a job as a liberal arts majors even in a normal economy, never mind one in a mild recession. Have you looked into vocational schools, tutoring, or just skipping college studies entirely? There have been lots of successful people who never attended college, some who didn't even graduate from high school.

// Given, I know that's avoiding the problem, but just thought I'd think outside the box a bit.

Love2Teach101
User

Re: can't pass the SAT math

Postby Love2Teach101 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:16 am

snippets
User

Can't Pass SAT Math

Postby snippets » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 am

I tend to lean toward the moderator's post because I know my daughter will have trouble passing it as well. She is bright, but freaks out on any timed test, plus she is dyslexic.

We are exploring other avenues besides college. I found a few good articles about this very issue at Let's Homeschool High School. High School is pretty new to us, so I can use all the help I can get in every area.
Joyfully,
Jackie
My Blogs:
www.quaintscribbles.wordpress.com
www.3dlearners.blogspot.com

My fave homeschool high school site:
www.letshomeschoolhighschool.com

Return to “High School / College Prep”