High mark scoring tips on SAT verbal

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Reading is good for learning vocabulary and grammar patterns and punctuation, but beyond a certain point it's not going to help much with reading comprehension. For that you really need formal study materials of the sort you'll find on the test, so you can try out different strategies and see which works the best. For instance, I've found that it helps to read the questions first, then the text, then answer the questions, since if you know what the questions are in advance, you can pick up the answers as you go.

Learning 5 random dictionary words per day is useless. There are so many words in the English language that even if you learn 5 per day for several years with perfect retention, you'll only end up learning only about 4% of the vocabulary. Moderate difficulty crossword puzzles might help, studying vocabulary lists specifically from the SAT will help a lot more, and learning all the common word roots will perhaps help the most. For instance, if you know that amoral means without morals, then you can guess that atypical means not typical or unusual/abnormal.

Writing practice is certainly good, but you need someone to grade / fix your writing or you may not make much progress in anything except speed.

homescholar
User

Re: High mark scoring tips on SAT verbal

Postby homescholar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am

SAT Preparation is all very well and good, but there are also some FUN ways to study vocab! I wrote an article about it last month, and here is the link:

Play Your Way to a Great Vocabulary
http://www.thehomescholar.com/recent-ar ... bulary.php

I think reading is a wonderful way to expand vocabulary, and writing practice is the best way to get better at writing. But I'm not sure there is just one "right" way to study for the SAT verbal, because all students are different. Puzzles and reading the dictionary would only be a good match for some kids, but not all. And I know that my children loved Latin, but I doubt other kids would find it fun.

Just something to think about!
Blessings,
Lee
Blessings,
Lee Binz
The HomeScholar
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:18 pm

I notice the article is largely just a list of books to buy? Coincidently, with your Amazon referer code.

BethK
User

Postby BethK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:00 am

Thanks for sharing this.I have always been poor in my verbal skills.I have already shortlisted some colleges and I have found that interests me and that is cestar college(http://www.cestarcollege.com/).I just hope that I will get through.I read the article it was of real help.

karepos415
User

Postby karepos415 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:49 am

Are you looking for a reliable tracker for your dog without constant monthly fees? I recommend visiting dog collar without subscription. Here is an overview of the best trackers that don't require monthly subscriptions. I chose one of the recommended trackers and I am happy with its performance. The review on Sleepets will help you to choose the best solution for your dog without spending too much! so you can be sure of buying this tracker for your beloved dog, I recommend it!!!!

Return to “High School / College Prep”