New homeschooler requires help

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Andreawqh
User

New homeschooler requires help

Postby Andreawqh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:26 am

I'm new homeschooler, and i'm now very confused about what curriculum to choose. Is there a standarized courses for homeschoolers, and if I want to apply for college, is there any standarized test other than SAT, ACT. specially made for homeschoolers to take?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Not really. Homeschooling ranges from packaged curricula, to subject-specific textbooks, to coursework compiled from the Internet. Really depends on what method you find works best for you. I'm visual, so textbooks worked fairly well, and I bought materials by course instead of going with a packaged curriculum (not enough flexibility). I took some community college courses, some online courses, etc. The one thing I can say with confidence is that you want to standardized test in as many subjects as possible - CLEP, if available, or AP if not. You will also want to take the SAT and/or the ACT. Colleges like homeschoolers, but they can compare you against everyone else a lot more easily if you test and hand them a simple metric, rather than trying to put together a portfolio of work.

Andreawqh
User

Postby Andreawqh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks, can you suggest me any good textbooks like published by which press :D

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Sadly, I put all my textbooks in storage or sold them years ago, so I can't really tell you anything specific. Any major college textbook will probably work, and I do recommend taking community college courses for things like Calculus or lab science. You also want to look up sample tests online or buy a test prep book before taking CLEP or AP, it'll help identify weak areas and improve your test scores. For instance, I crammed for two weeks for the biology CLEP, then took a sample test and discovered I was weak in the areas of Mendellian genetics and general biology (trees, etc.), so I went back and studied for another day. Got 72/80 on the exam.

A number of top universities have put their course materials online for free, btw, for instance MIT and Harvard. You could try that for upper-level courses;
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

ashleypaxtonn
User

Re: New homeschooler requires help

Postby ashleypaxtonn » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Return to “High School / College Prep”