Disappointed with ACT score

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

missbello
User

Disappointed with ACT score

Postby missbello » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:33 pm

I just took the ACT for the first time in June and I scored a twenty-two(22). I am so disappointed because I actually did study and my parents hired a tutor. I studied using Barron's, the real ACT guide, and Princeton Review. I even studied a day before the test. I constantly scored a 25-26 on the practice tests, yet I did horrible on real exam. I guess anxiety took over my ability to perform well on the test. Also, I did not have a timer and I found myself running out of time on some sections. My lowest score was reading. I didn't even get to read all the passages. Furthermore, I only got to read the first passage and answer the questions. On science, however, I managed to do better than reading. I scored in low 20's in the science section. I also ran out of time on the science. I had the highest scores in Math and Reading. How should I study over the summer to improve my score and what books other than I mentioned should I buy to study? I have a good gpa(3.8 unweighted as a junior) and I don't want my ACT scores to weight me down from getting into a good college.

RPascal206
User

ACT Advice

Postby RPascal206 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:04 pm

As a homeschool graduate and college junior, my best advice is to purchase ACT practice tests, and retake each one until you reach a desired score in as little time as possible. Each time you retake the practice exam try beating your record time. This is by far the best technique I have used for my college classes.

Don’t give up—I know you can do it! ;)

I would like to add, however, that I never actually took the ACT: here in Texas, universities often prefer the ACCUPLACER; which, by the way, is not timed. Please do research and find out whether it truly is required for you to take the ACT. If not, you could save yourself a lot of time.

Hope this helps, and God bless! :)`

Oh, and if you have any more questions, just let us know!
The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest daughter of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/

Return to “High School / College Prep”