Writing off Classes

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Gweegle
User

Writing off Classes

Postby Gweegle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 am

It's been a tough two years of home schooling for my daughter, now a senior in high school. The first semester we started we had to constantly travel because I had to take care of my sick mother in another state. Now she's behind in both her Junior and Senior year and isn't looking to graduate on time.

I don't know if there are laws about this, but if someone could inform me that'd be great. (Georgia, Forsyth County)

I would like to know if I can write off some of her classes by giving her the semester and end of the year tests. If she understands the curriculum and passes the tests, I'd like to pass her on the class.

Also, if I could get your thoughts on another thing. My daughter has an impossible time focusing. I know she has the will power to do it, but she's acting like what she is - a seventeen year old girl with options. How do I inform her of the importance of focus and finishing up her school in a way she'll take it seriously? She has big dreams and lots of ideas for college, most of them actually practical, but without focusing and finishing off the school year there wont be any college for quite some time.

Her Junior courses include Algebra 1, Literature (11), American History, Chemistry, and French I. Senior: Advanced Bio, Algebra 2, Literature (12), History (12), Russian, French II.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Good news - there are no schooling requirements in Georgia for children over 16. So you can do whatever you want. As far as graduation from high school goes, you'll want to standardized test (AP, CLEP, Georgia-recognized subject test, etc.) for as many subjects as you can, and portfolio for the rest. I don't know if a self-issued test will be sufficient without a body of work to back it up, but probably not.

Return to “High School / College Prep”