Grading reading-only coursework

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kimkg
User

Grading reading-only coursework

Postby kimkg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Much of our coursework is just done by reading books, with no testing or papers. Therefore, there is nothing to grade. I had been just assigning an A if the books were read, but I don't want my son's transcript to look skewed with so any A's. Should I instead designate those reading-only courses as pass/fail? But there would end up being quite a few if I did that.

An example: we've read a lot of Shakespeare, we watch videos of the plays, and we attend a live play at least once a year. Over four years, I feel he deserves a unit in Shakespeare.

As well, he has read a lot of literature, and could easily have two units just in British Literature (I'm only giving him one). But how do you grade just reading books?? I've never had him do study guides, tests, papers, etc.

Thanks!
Kim

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 am

Here is a link that will answer your question:

http://www.thehomescholar.com/how-to-as ... rading.php

kimkg
User

Postby kimkg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am

Would it be appropriate to just put "pass" or "n/a" on a subject where there was no real assessment?

For instance, my son has read enough books on photography/filmmaking to give him a Media Studies 1/2 unit. But do I put an A+ on that?

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 am

Return to “High School / College Prep”