SAT Test Prep

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tsth
User

SAT Test Prep

Postby tsth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:04 pm

What has worked? Any recommendations? software OR book prep? Both? What software? What book? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

In His Love,
Suzanne

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm

We tried the book and my girl did great when she took it in 10th grade. She did better than I did as a Junior in public school. She did well enough to get into any college she is looking at.

She wanted to score higher so she took a prep course at a local community college $99.00 and scored higher.

She still wants to do better to get into the "good scholarship money." So I asked around my local homeschooling community and found someone that charges about $500 for a prep course (not just for homeschoolers but for any teens) and "guarantees" a higher score.

I figure we are talking about $5000-10,000 or more a year in scholarship money vrs the $500, it's worth it.

This was for the ACT though, not the SAT. Still the same things should work.

Good luck!

Please let us know how it turns out!
Last edited by StellarStory on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsth
User

Postby tsth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 am

Dear Stellar,

We've not ever taken any sort of test for college, so I purchased the "Kaplan SAT/ACT/PSAT Platinum" Prep CD, along with the College Board Prep book. We'll see how that helps us to start out?

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the materials like these out there?

I don't think we're ready to do classes yet, but it might come to that?

In His Love,
Suzanne

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 am

That's what we did the first year, just the book.

Good luck!

SJHS
User

Postby SJHS » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:26 pm

When my daughter took the CHSPE, we bought her the prep book by Baron. It got her used to taking that sort of exam, and it helped her realize which areas in math she needed to work on more. By the time she finished the book, her practice scores were much better than her pre-tests. I think that the prep book is a good place to start, then you can determine if your child(ren) needs further training or tutoring.

Mr. E-Tutor
User

Free SAT Prep Website

Postby Mr. E-Tutor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi guys -

I've been a private SAT tutor for more than a decade, and I've recently launched a few totally free SAT prep websites. They may not be too pretty (I'm a tutor, not a web designer), but the information there is better than what you'll find even in the thousand-dollar-plus range for the classes.

My website, www.MysteryTutor.com, contains a full free video course. I try to keep them brief and entertaining :wink:

www.MysteryTutorBlog.com has my video explanations to the College SAT Question of the day.

www.MysteryTutorVault.com has my explanations to every question in the Official SAT Study Guide, and because it's a forum site you can ask me any questions you like.

I hope you guys will check out my sites and let me know what you think. Feel free to ask me any questions you like about SAT prep on this forum or on mine.

Here's a few comments on what I've seen in this thread--

The SAT and the ACT are 'built' differently. The patterns and tricks on one test will not necessarily work on another, so be careful trying to apply strategies from one test to the other test.

Also, the only practice tests you should ever use are in the College Board's Official SAT Study Guide, because those practice tests are made by the College Board, who makes the SAT. Other practice tests will not follow the same patterns and will not teach you the right skills.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and please ask me any questions you might have.

Mr. E-Tutor
Be my friend on FaceBook! (John Tutor)

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Cool! Thanks for posting!

quixotic
User

Other free resources

Postby quixotic » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:43 pm

I have been working for some time on a website with SAT mathematics practice examples.
I think it could be useful to some of the readers of this forum. There are no usernames or passwords requirements and the site is free.
www.free-test-online.com

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Update:

My girl got a four year academic scholarship to the college of her choice!

Woo hoo!

Now I'm trying to get my boy the athletic scholarship he wants. It's a great deal more complicated!

Forum_User
User

Postby Forum_User » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:04 pm

Although this is late(Just in case for anyone still wondering), collegeboard has a lot of free practice questions and explanations. Collegeboard is the official site for the SAT too.

You do have to search around but I'll list the free stuff you can find on the site:

1. Question of the Day(If you want to restudy them later, you'll have to copy them and print it out or something because they don't archive the QotD as far as I know).

2. Dozens of practice questions for each subject(They're listed on the site I linked to).

3. A free nearly full length practice test(it excludes only one section).

4. PSAT questions and explanations (Only if you took the PSAT, if you did, it allows you to view the PSAT questions and answers and explanations. You need to create an account first before you can view your PSAT).

5. Finally, there's also an "SAT Insight"(last I remembered) section that also has a lot of practice questions too. Unfortunately I missed this part and thought it was a "pay feature" part of the site(some of it was but some of it was free).

All 5 are all free, you just have to search around(I forgot the exact links since I haven't visited the site in a while after I completed my SAT), I studied using the collegeboard site mainly and it worked out real well.

You can also pay for extra questions if you completed all the free questions you can find on the site but I did fine just using only the free stuff.
Last edited by Forum_User on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homescholar
User

Postby homescholar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 pm

Blessings,
Lee Binz
The HomeScholar
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini

HSCollegeGuide
User

resources

Postby HSCollegeGuide » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:28 pm

The Princeton Review, http://www.princetonreview.com/ as stated above is great. A good free resource is Grockit, http://grockit.com/.

Bob92
User

SAT words practice

Postby Bob92 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 am

Reepicheep
User

forgetting math

Postby Reepicheep » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,