homeschooling a high school student while only parent working outside of home

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

LisaC
User

homeschooling a high school student while only parent working outside of home

Postby LisaC » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Hoping that I'm not the only one to have attempted this.

I had homeschooled by daughter from fifth through 10th grades before having to return to work full time (due to divorce I could no longer afford to stay home). I initially enrolled my daughter in a parochial school for 11th grade, but she was hospitalized for major depression twice. I finally pulled her back out of school at her request. She was making good grades while enrolled in school, but her depression made it very difficult to get to school, let alone complete all of the work.

She is doing a little better now, and we are basically restarting her junior year (meaning that she will graduate a year late). She is excited about the curriculum (Sonlight for history and language arts, Apologia for science and Teaching Textbooks for math--foreign language is being taken of outside of the house).

I don't know if I need advice so much as moral support (but good advice would be welcome too). My main concerns are math and science. I might be tempted to put her in a co-op type environment, but I can't get her there (she may or may not have a license and car soon). Additionally, if her depression worsens, she might not be able to get herself to class at all.

Realistically, I can check her work but can't help with math and science. Even with the regular subjects, I cannot be as involved as in past years. I am teaching public school while my child is at home attempting to get her own work done.

Thanks in advance!

KenPatrick
User

Re: homeschooling a high school student while only parent working outside of home

Postby KenPatrick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:47 am

I suggest you to hire some online teacher who can teach her math and science at home or consult some good doctor for her depression problem....

msphyllis
User

Re: homeschooling a high school student while only parent working outside of home

Postby msphyllis » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Lisa,

You're definitely not the only one doing this.

I have homeschooled my 16-year-old son for most of the last 10 years, and I, too, am divorced. However, I work from home as a freelance writer.

My son is now a junior and may, also, take extra time to finish high school as he had some challenges. It sounds like your daughter's depression is severe. Is she getting professional help?

As far as math and science are concerned, you could use online programs. ETAP is a straight forward online curriculum that your daughter could use for math and science. My son uses it for science and likes it. (Our state doesn't require that labs be done for science, but he will take the eTAP courses, then, likely, complete the labs at community college or at a co-op.) Here's a link to eTAP:

https://www.etap.org/

There are other benefits on the website for a high school student like test prep for the ACT and SAT.

Your daughter taking foreign language outside of the home sounds like a good option.

Below is information on online groups for parents who work and homeschool and for single parents:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WORKandHOMESCHOOL/info?yguid=419740133

The Yahoo groups aren't as active as they used to be, but check out Facebook. Search for the following groups:

Single Parent Homeschooling Support

Working Parents Homeschooling Group

Remember: You can homeschool outside traditional school hours if your state allows it. This might work well for your daughter, too.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Ms. Phyllis

Return to “High School / College Prep”