Diploma from parent verses diploma from outside source

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teach8
User

Diploma from parent verses diploma from outside source

Postby teach8 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:04 am

I am trying to decide which is the better route. I live in Pa and everyone here is really big into the diploma programs PHAA, Mason Dixon etc.. I was going to issue my own but have been wondering if I am doing my son a disservice doing this. Any thoughts welcomed.
Thanks
Marci
Blowing out someones candle doesn't make ours shine any brighter.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:11 pm

As long as you document well, it probably won't make any difference to a college or business whether the diploma is issued by you or by an outside source. Still, having an "official" diploma might be nice, and could save you some work - I guess the question is, how much are you willing to pay to have someone else handle the diploma details for you?

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Tue May 15, 2007 6:40 pm

When the day came for my son to apply to the University I learned my ds's diploma, transcript, and credits from a respected diploma program we used wasn't acknowledged by our University, but they did accept the diploma, transcript, and credits I, myself, issued to my ds. That said, we decided it wasn't worth the $$ for someone else's diploma and we are now going-it-alone.

This was the process for entering our University: fill out the application complete with transcript, community service and extra curricular activities; PASS the University compass test (reading, writing, and math), provide a SAT/ACT score (they provided a residual ACT for ds to take onsite); and if your SAT/ACT score was below expectations you would need to either retake it or prove yourself by taking 7 credits or less (1 or 2 classes) and get acceptable grades.

Ofcourse every University may have different procedures, but more and more are becoming hs user-friendly. Some universities may still require GED scores instead of what our Universityprovided. I believe that most that opt to go the diploma program route are worried/nervous and need that backup - I did and that is why I used one for my ds. The only benefit my son got from it, besides a piece of paper was it did set expectations for him from an outside source - not all students need that.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

Return to “High School / College Prep”