Practical advice for Physical Education day?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tinamccollum
User

Practical advice for Physical Education day?

Postby tinamccollum » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:51 am

If anyone has any practical advice for Physical Education day for a nonathletic homeschool MOM with a 7 and 8 year old I would appreciate it.
razn3boysnhappy

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:28 pm

what do you do now? we have a time when we get together with other homeschoolers and play at the playground or GYM. Sometimes we organize games, sometimes we just have fun. Maybe your boys would like to learn how to play games, or just hit a ball, (great for hand and eye coordination) Boys don't need to be told to play and be physical, given the opportunity they should thrive.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

tinamccollum
User

thanks

Postby tinamccollum » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 am

Thanks for the advice. This will be my first year to homeschool.
razn3boysnhappy

Theodore

Re: Practical advice for Physical Education day?

Postby Theodore » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:01 am

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but you could try juggling. It's exercise that builds muscle evenly in both sides of the body, it's good for hand-eye coordination, and it requires practically no space (unless juggling 5+ objects, in which case a higher ceiling is good) or special equipment.

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Do you have a swimming pool close by? Even if you can't swim, you and your children can enjoy the physcial exercise while playing in the water. Swimming uses almost every muscle in the body.
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

phiferan
User

Postby phiferan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:07 am

My son is not very athletic and for P.E. he walked 3 hours a week. You can also do gardening, provided you have a big garden (such as a community garden) that you can work on most of the year. There is also golf and community swimming pools (most kids love swimming). And, you can do a log book to record the activity, where the parent just records (typed or printed) each week how many minutes and on what days children worked and what was worked on or learned (worked 20 minutes on Tuesday, worked 40 minutes on Thursday),etc. and (walked at the park) (walked in neighborhood), etc. My portfolio was reviewed for several years in the state of Maryland (every 6 months) and this walking was acceptable. :idea:

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Shari Nielsen
User

Postby Shari Nielsen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:37 pm

Free Report! Start your own online tutoring business & earn $25 -$75/hour from home. Get your free report at http://www.TutorFi.com/freereport.asp

Momma24
User

High School Girls

Postby Momma24 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Homeschooling four
with the help of Mom SCHOOL
and staying healthy with Mom FITNESS!

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

There are some fun videos out there for kids. We used Miss Christy's Dance Class video when my kids were young. She teaches jazz, ballet, and tap dance. I posted a review for it on my website.
There are also Tai Chi videos if you think they might like martial arts.
My kids also liked the Yoga Fitness for Kids video by Gaiam.
Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

1to1tutor
User

Postby 1to1tutor » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 am

sandrapitt
User

Postby sandrapitt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 am

Well for starters you can start with a routine of jogging (which does not require to you to be athletic) followed by some stretching and yoga exercise which can be done indoors or even in a park early in the morning. You can get a lot of yoga videos online. Once your and your kids bodies get flexible and used to exercising you can actually start off with sports.

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”