can i still be on a public school sports team if i'm HS?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

birdgirl491
User

can i still be on a public school sports team if i'm HS?

Postby birdgirl491 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 pm

i'm in public high school now (and probably always will be, despite my mom's wishes to homeschool me) but if, by some miracle, i'm allowed to be homeschooled, i was wondering if i could still join the sports team i was on this year next year? can a HS kid still be in the after school activities/sports of the public school?
:?: :?: :?: :?:
~namaste~

SophiesMom
User

Postby SophiesMom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:07 pm

I think it all depends on your school. I would ask your principle about that and the superintendent (spelling sorry). Chances are that if you have participated in the extracurricular activities in the past, you'll still be able to.
Amie and Sophie

Theodore

Re: can i still be on a public school sports team if i'm HS?

Postby Theodore » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Most public schools allow homeschoolers to participate in sports, but yes, you should find out what your school's policy is - and you should try to get it in writing.

On a more specific note:

http://www.illinoishouse.org/a09.htm
IHSA 2003-2004 rules state that a homeschooled student may participate if the student is "enrolled at the member high school, ...taking a minimum of 20 credit hours of work at the member school or in a program approved by the member school, and the student must be granted credit for the work taken either at the member school or in a program it approved."

Emphasis mine. So Illinois schools can allow homeschoolers to participate in sports, but it's not mandatory. You have to check with your school.

JLChurch
User

Sports, Extracurriculars & Homeschool

Postby JLChurch » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:14 am

We have been fortunate in FL.........most counties allow homeschoolers to participate in high school sports teams (Varisty or JV) IF they are selected for the team through the same participation as the school students. Of course, you must turn in your grades to your coach and athletic director to be eligible.

We were fortunate that our daughter (now 19), tried out and was selected for the Varsity Soccer team at the local high school. She went on to be awarded numerous letters, made Captain her senior year, FL State Player of the Year, selected for lots of 1st Teams, etc. IF your state does not offer this open participation, please try to get the laws changed. You pay taxes to your school district just like anyone else.

Also, even though she was recruited......she has chosen to not play in college......but does attend a state university on a scholarship --- YES, even though she was homeschooled. Scholarships are open to everyone .... even State Scholarships.

There is a lot of information out there for homeschoolers........do your homework.

laurielev
User

possibly!

Postby laurielev » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Still can't believe that in some states they do not allow HS. ed players. We have six. Four of them have run varsity track, and one plays varsity baseball. Both of our girls were co-captains of their track team. They have helped set a new HS record, and have been voted for all-state teams as well. Last year the track team came in first place, for large schools....of that winning team...our homeschooled daughter, and an exchange student, comprised many of the points. We have really enjoyed our time with the PS teams...they have always been gracious to us. I hope this changes for other states as well.
laurie levasseur

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”