anyone a member of the family Y?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mommyto2girls
User

anyone a member of the family Y?

Postby mommyto2girls » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:49 pm

I am consdidering adding this to our budget - we have a realatively large one about 35 minutes away and a small branch of it about 20 minutes away. What are some reasons you got one (or why not?) and what things have you done with the Y?

Thanks!

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:16 pm

We chose not to join the Y because it was too far away. Well, it's only 15 minutes, but when compared to our two other options - a family gym and a rec center, it was MORE expensive for membership and less likely to be used.

To make our choice, we got brochures and toured all three, then sat down and circled what we would use, what classes we would take....in the end, the rec center and local gym won out and it's been a good decision so far.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 pm

I wish we had more locally like that. Anything we join is going to be in the next city about 30-45 minutes. Here we are a small rural farm community (85% poverty - our entire PS gets free lunch) - we aren't real big on culture and family as a whole. Our recreation center has team sports and a few things, but nothing geared toward homeschoolers. I would like to do things that won't interfere so much with the family dinner. I don't mind for me and the children to eat lunch on the fly, but I would like for our evening meal with my husband to be more leisurely.

The only thing our rec center has that may be of interest when the kids are older are ceramics and quilting classes. We don't even have a community pool!

Who else?

Ramona
User

Re: anyone a member of the family Y?

Postby Ramona » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:12 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:39 pm

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm

tsmama24
User

Postby tsmama24 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:26 pm

We have been members of the Y for about 5 years now. It has been really good for us and provides a terrific PE "outlet", especially on cold and/or rainy days. We usually swim once a week, although we used to swim more when the boys were younger. They are old enough now to use the cardio equipment in the workout room, which they still find novel enough to be fun. :wink: Off an on through the years, the Y has also had family fitness programs that we could all be part of. Also, if your budget is a real issue, the Y usually has at least partial scholarships for membership if you meet the criteria. We have used those on different years. My oldest son has Tourette Syndrome and the Y has truly been a place where he could go and feel totally accepted and able to be himself. It has been a positive experience for our family all around.
Kerry

TxDadof8
User

Postby TxDadof8 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm

We've been members for about 4 years and we're fortunate enough to have one about a mile away. Due to the size of our family, we go in shifts and it works out great. We do PE there in addition to our HS co-op. It's good for us all. We enjoy it.

merylvdm
User

Postby merylvdm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Ours is only about 7 mins away. We just joined last month. My daughters (9 and 19) and I take Zumba classes. My 16 yr old son does the circuits. My husband will probably do those too, and also use the pool

TheresaHPIR
User

Postby TheresaHPIR » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Juniper
User

joined y

Postby Juniper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm

We are active members at the Y. We joined for several reasons: Huge family. Husband can work on losing weight. I am training for a 10K. One daughter is a second degree black belt and works to keep in shape The other daughter is, at 18, a professional ballerina and works out at the Y to keep fit. Son, goes there to destress. Future son-in-law loves to swim there. Grandson has activities. Good value for us; 10 minutes away in our rural area.

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”