similar or different interests?

Post information about homeschool sports and other extracurriculars here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofone
User

similar or different interests?

Postby momofone » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:59 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:56 am

I let my kids socialize with just about whoever they come across and I've noticed some interesting things because of it. I really think that young kids are blind when it comes to differences in color, abilities, etc. We live in an area where there are a lot of white people but we also have a lot hispanics and a variety of some other races. My son is 6 and has yet to say something to me about someone that he played with that was black, asian, hispanic. His best bud is hispanic/asian. He just doesn't notice that they're different.

We also spend a lot of time with people who believe differently than we do. I don't mind that either because, really, how often do you catch small kids discussing religion or philosophy?

I watch my kids closely when they're interacting with others, not to be over protective, but to observe how kids interact. What I've learned is that any differences between kids and all the baggage that goes with that is instilled by the parents (or the media), most of the time. My son can play with a black child and literally not notice (or care) that he's black - it's just really not even a talking point with him. The rare time that he's mentioned something about someone who looked different, we talked about how some people are <x> and other people are <x> and it's not good or bad, just different and that's ok.

I think a lot of emphasis (too much emphasis, IMO) is put on differences between children and adults project their baggage onto their kids. Kids are kids to other kids and they will generally all play together unless something has taught that child that they shouldn't. This applies to racial differences, kids of different religions, kids of different abilities.

I personally know of a few families that don't allow their kids to play with other kids who aren't of their own religion for fear those kids will influence those kids away from the parents' beliefs. Now, it's not my family or my kids but I disagree with that method. Kids who grow up in homes of faith need exposure to other beliefs. They need their beliefs challenged - maybe not as really young kids, but I feel the challenges need to be there.(however, mostly kids are parroting their parent's beliefs as a youngster. It's a while before a kid really can develop his own belief system and defend it) Challenges to one's faith makes it stronger. What's the point in believing something if you don't know why you believe it and can't back it up? What's the worth of a belief system that can't stand up to the exposure of other beliefs?
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:03 pm

I let my children interact with others based on their personality/character. As long as the child is reasonably well behaved etc then I don't see a issue. Personally, I'm a atheist but I don't see that I'd be doing my children any favours by not teaching them about what others believe. I always tell my kids it doesn't matter what color, race, religion, politics, etc that anyone is as long as that person is a good person you should treat them equally.

I hadn't thought about it until now but I guess we've been lucky because to my knowledge my kids have never had people NOT play with them or interact in anyway just because of our beliefs.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Ok, some great thoughts.

What about parents that verbally abuse their children? Using foul language or just put them down, in general? Let's say the parent says, "Joshua, you are so stupid." Or uses the f word to speak or to discipline them?

I know they can't be protected forever, but I don't know that they need to be around that type of behavior either.

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:13 pm

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:23 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:24 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:34 am

I use the philosophy that you are who you hang out with. WE talk a lot about what is appropriate behavior, and how it feels to hear certain words, or be treated a certain way. (We don't judge them, we are Christian, but it is not our place to judge, it is our job to show God's love.) The boys talk to the other children about the fact that they don't like those words, or that behavior, and if they don't stop then they won't play with them, most of the time the child stops. If an adult is doing it, I make sure that my child does not spend anytime alone with that adult. I wouldn't feel safe. But that's just me.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:12 am

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:14 am

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:15 am

su
User

Postby su » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:25 pm

DanBranch
User

hi

Postby DanBranch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 am

reloaded
User

Postby reloaded » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 am

It is better to keep an eye on your children if you want to give freedom to them. Otherwise you will lose control over them in future.

toddler20
User

Postby toddler20 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 am

You can join your kid in some activities as well. Your kid would love your company and a supervision as well.

Return to “Homeschool Sports and Extracurriculars”