New to the forum

Just registered? Tell people a little about yourself!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

EclecticMomof3
User

New to the forum

Postby EclecticMomof3 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:42 am

Hello! I'm a mom of 3, ages 13, 11, and 8. We've homeschooled from the start for largely parenting and philosophical reasons, though we are a religious family and that facet benefits, too. We've generally been relaxed eclectic with a classical bent, but have formalized a good bit in the last two years. We use the grammar and writing programs from JacKris Publishing (Growing with Grammar); I'm adding spelling this summer. Math-U-See for math. And Pandia Press for history and science, but that's a pretty recent development. Before that, they were free to choose something from our centers and bookshelves, and around 8 or 9 they would read a section of a history spine each day. We also simply learn about whatever catches our eye using field guides and the internet, though that was a much bigger factor in our days when they were younger. I formalized I guess as my oldest hit middle school and I worried about them having all the bases "covered." It's not so much about gaps; I don't buy into that myth for content especially, but a balance between the different science disciplines, for example. They know next to nothing about chemistry and physics, for example. And despite having a BA in English, I don't feel organized enough to teach writing from scratch, so I added the writing program to the grammar we'd always been doing.

Between us, we have interests in sharks, bugs, fishing, horses, wolves, piano, singing, guitar, music, gardening, chicken-keeping, hiking, camping, video games, graphic novels, research, computer animation and programming, DIYing, and whatever else strikes our fancy. Proficiency varies, however. :wink:

I'm on the fence between putting them all in school in the fall for a year and keeping them home with drastic changes. I put my two younger (both boys) in for the last 7 weeks of this school year, and intend to "summer school" them here (basically picking up where we left off). I'm here to crowd source and sound board so I can gather some ideas about how to proceed. I also want to look ahead to the high school years so those don't sneak up on me, as well.

ritareader
User

Re: New to the forum

Postby ritareader » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Return to “Guestbook”