Free Math Practice

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

DJaccb
User

Free Math Practice

Postby DJaccb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 am

DJaccb
User

No signin for lessons.

Postby DJaccb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 am

evodio
User

new free site

Postby evodio » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 am

mathops1
User

Algebra

Postby mathops1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:33 pm

After you finish practicing your skills on www.emathfacts.com, try out www.mathops.com too. Click the "Free Lessons" video for access to online algebra lessons and videos with teenage honor students explaining the math and hundreds of printable worksheets.

Those basic skills are necessary, so make sure you use emathfacts.com too.
Kathy Ferguson
www.mathops.com

miska5298
User

Postby miska5298 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm

susanrm
User

Math problems

Postby susanrm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am

I was excited to see these free resources and perhaps use them and/or link to them on my website. I have feedback for Dave, though.

Dave, you have put so much work into this site, and it's very usable. Great programming.

I wouldn't use it to teach or practice math facts, though, and here is why:

The problem practice consists of mixed-up problems. Yes, they are separated by size of number, which can be useful and better than many worksheets out there. (The downside is that ordering it like this can imply that larger numbers are "harder" than smaller numbers.) However, I learned a few years ago that the best type of worksheet is designed like a sprint, which Yoram Sagher invented. This is a sheet of math facts practice that teaches at the same time. For example, you might see the following problems:

5 x 9
50 x 9
500 x 9
5000 x 9

or
6 x 5
7 x 5
8 x 5
9 x 5
5 x 6
5 x 7
5 x 8

etc.

In other words, you are providing the opportunity for students to notice patterns for themselves and get very fluent in mental math facts by applying these patterns. Randomly ordered math problems don't offer this.

If you were to offer more sprint-like practice, I would be THERE in a minute. It's a lot harder to create these, though, which may be why there is only one offering out there on the marketplace.

Beemath looks like worksheets that could just as easily be sent home on paper. Ideally, a math website offers practice that can't be done on paper, like http://www.thinkingblocks.com.

algebrafree.com looks promising for students without access to a teacher and/or supplementary practice.

Thanks everyone!

six
User

Postby six » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am

Dave , went to explore but was stopped by a page to add microsoft silverlight. I don't do microsoft, I use linux and I am an advocate for shareware and freeware. It needs to be cross platform compatible.

I have found
http://www.khanacademy.org/login
to be useful, it starts at the beginning and goes to the higher maths
if you need worksheets it lets one print the next ten problems in the area of study

as a linux user I have found a lot of free software http://sourceforge.net/ most can be used on windows systems

Theodore

Re: Math problems

Postby Theodore » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm

lisayvonne
User

Postby lisayvonne » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for sharing :D

davidharper
User

Postby davidharper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks for sharing good sources here with us for math.

Alicelewis11
User

Postby Alicelewis11 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 am

Yes, I think the issue practice comprises of stirred up issues. Yes, they are differentiated by size of number, which could be helpful and superior to numerous worksheets out there. I feel practice is very necessary for math. So, last time i also found a website for my kids who weak in math. Now both kids practice regularly with the help of this website free of cost. I like to share this website here which is 3rd Grade Math...

Return to “Math”