Math genius?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona
User

Math genius?

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:53 am

10-y-o dd looks at the multiple-step problem and figures it out in seconds, says the method in the book is way different from how she would do it, her way is way better, but she can't explain her way, just says the right answer was obvious to her and isn't it to everybody? Doesn't do this with every kind of math problem, but many different ones. Since then I've researched online for how to tell what it is she's doing, how to teach someone who thinks the way she does, what approach to use, and enrichment math for her, but I can't really find anything helpful.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I'd probably start with someone who teaches gifted classes in math at the elementary school level.

sgottlieb
User

genius math

Postby sgottlieb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 am

First of all do not approach any elementary teacher for help as they do not know math. After all, they did NOT study math in college as they studied education. You need to contact a mathematician as they see how to do any problem in multiple ways and will easily understand how your child is doing her problems. They will be able to see if her methods will always work and if not then be able to explain when it will fail or be an inefficient method.
You can contact me by going to my website (in signature below) and contacting me via the contact form.
Steven

matthewblckwd
User

Postby matthewblckwd » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm

I second the fact that elementary teachers as a rule do not have a math background. My wife is a high school math teacher. There is a similar example with us, I stopped by her Algebra 2 classroom years ago and she asked me how I would go about solving a question on the board and I just looked at it and gave her the correct answer but couldn't really explain how I got it. She is much better at following the rules and fomulas and sometimes I just "see" the answer.
Steven is probably a good person to contact, I could also get you in touch with my wife if you like. In any case it sounds like you have a bright daughter on your hands. As someone who also doesn't use the book way at arriving at solutions I would recommend that she still "learn" the book method, going forward she may need to show work for grades and you can reach a point that you need the book method to solve a problem.

Good luck,
Matthew

Alicelewis11
User

Postby Alicelewis11 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 am

Hi Mattwe! I hope you're fine. I read your post which quite good. I think your wife is so hard working woman. I want to contact you. Can you share your Email id or other source for contact.

davidharper
User

Postby davidharper » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:16 am

You must choose a good math tutor for your math course, so it will be very helpful for you. You can check online math tutors for your help.

matthewblckwd
User

Postby matthewblckwd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 am

Sorry for just seeing this. My email is matthewblckwd@hotmail.com

Return to “Math”