Opinions on Abeka Precalculus?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

K.S.
User

Opinions on Abeka Precalculus?

Postby K.S. » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

Hi,
I am considering using Abeka Precaculus this year. I used Abeka Geometry this past year and hated it, but I loved their math for all the grades before that. If you've used Abeka Precalculus, please let me know what you thought of it! Thank you! :)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Thinking outside the box - pre-calc is basically just an amalgam of trig functions, logarithms, exponents, etc. Assuming you covered everything in algebra II properly, you should be able to skip straight to calculus I, since calculus textbooks and calculus courses always cover the pre-calc ground at the start. No point doing it twice. Trig and pre-calc by themselves are pretty boring, because you don't get to see -why- you're studying all the material. Same reason why language arts seems pointless until you're studying a foreign language.

I went straight from algebra II to calculus I. I skipped over advanced math, trig, and pre-calc. Never did a formal geometry course either, for that matter. Given, I'm not personally familiar with how Abeka's textbooks are set up, and I'm fairly good with math, so take my advice for what it is :)

sgottlieb
User

Postby sgottlieb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 am

I agree with Theordore--if one knows Trigonometry and Algebra well they do not need pre calculus. Although most calculus books may have a section(s) called review..., it is usually not covered in class as one should already know pre calculus material.

Return to “Math”