Florida homeschooling laws

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

happycaringmom
User

Florida homeschooling laws

Postby happycaringmom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm planning on homeschooling my daughter this coming 2006-07 school year. I corrently live in N.Y. I have all the laws for N.Y. Now I'm seriously thinking about moving down to Florida. I have done some research on the internet to find Florida's laws. I'm all confused with it because they seem to have 3 different options. I'm unsure about all of it. I read a lot on the private laws and thought about Crossroads Christian School. It's a private school for homeschooling children. If I go that route do I still have to follow Florida's homeschool laws if I enroll my daughter through them. I just don't understand their laws and we're thinking about moving down in the middle of August. Anyone know of Florida's exact laws. Anything sure would help.

Theodore

Re: Florida homeschooling laws

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:54 am

http://www.fpea.com/starting/index/css/ ... int_3.html

The tutoring option probably isn't what you're looking for, so you only have to choose between homeschool and enrolling your daughter in what is known as an "umbrella school" - a school that charges minimal fees and is only there to fulfill the legal requirements for homeschoolers. Of the two options, the latter is probably going to be easier on you, since you only have to answer to the school, and the school rarely has to supply any information to the school board other than how many students are enrolled. Of course, it will cost somewhat more, and you may or may not have a good umbrella school in your area.

http://www.home-school.com/groups/FL.html
Last edited by Theodore on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happycaringmom
User

Postby happycaringmom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:34 pm

So if I go through an "umbrella" school, I, myself wont need to learn the Florida homeschool laws. Correct?I'll just be dealing with the umbrella schools requirements. Right?

Theodore

Re: Florida homeschooling laws

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:47 pm

Correct. So long as the school fulfills their legal requirements, and you fulfill the school's requirements, you're fine.

happycaringmom
User

Postby happycaringmom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Thank you so much.Do you have an umbrella school that you personally recommend? I'm thinking about crossroads Christian school which is an umbrella school. I've read a little bit about them. They sound like what I need.

AprilP
User

Postby AprilP » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 pm

Theodore

No Letter of Intent is needed under age 6 (Florida):

Postby Theodore » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:44 pm

In all cases, a child turning 6 before February 1 of the school year is subject to compulsory attendance...

As long as your daughter is under the age requirement, you don't have to write a Letter of Intent for her, regardless of what level she's currently at. I'm sure she'll be well past kindergarten by age 6.

happycaringmom
User

Postby happycaringmom » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:04 pm

If I go through the umbrella school would I still need to send the school district a letter of intent?

Theodore

No letter of intent needed if using an umbrella school:

Postby Theodore » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:50 pm

Last edited by Theodore on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AprilP
User

Postby AprilP » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:24 pm

My daughter would be entering 2nd grade this year, but she has breezed through 1st, and breezes through 2nd grade workbooks, so I figured I could purchase 3rd grade curricula for her this year. We decided on Alpha Omega, and we first did the diagnostic testing which proved my hunch, so I bought the 3rd grade stuff. But now I'm worried because I heard that I can't just "promote" her to the next grade without an evaluation and proof that she completed 2nd grade. I looked at the fpea website and didn't see anything on this...please tell me I heard wrong.

Theodore

Just find an evaluator friendly to homeschoolers:

Postby Theodore » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:16 am

The law says that you have to "demonstrate progress" using either an evaluator or a state / nationally-normed student achievement test. The evaluator can be anyone who "holds a valid, regular Florida certificate to teach academic subjects at the elementary or secondary level", including other homeschoolers and people outside of your local area. Just shop around until you find someone friendly to homeschoolers.

In the meantime, however, there's no reason why you should be able to work on grade 3 with your daughter. The law says nothing about waiting to move onto the next grade until testing out of the previous grade, just that your daughter has to be able to demonstrate "educational progress at a level commensurate with her ability." I doubt she'll have any trouble with this if she can already handle grade 3 material, especially if you find a friendly evaluator.

luv2bastayathomemom
User

Okay Theodore, I have a question for ya regarding FL law...

Postby luv2bastayathomemom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:39 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:36 pm

wrightno
User

Postby wrightno » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:18 pm

YES, GO TO WWW.FPEA.COM/ OR CHECK OUT ON LINE FLORIDA HOMESCHOOL LAWS.I LIVE IN ST.AUGUSTINE FLORIDA
natasha w.

megan27
User

Postby megan27 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:07 pm

If i dont send a letter of intent for my 5 year old daughter that i will be homeschooling ( grade-k) and then when she is homeschooled for 1st grade and i have to send a letter in wont they want her to start as a kindergartener not a 1st grader?
If i send her to a school for 1st grade after i home school her wont they want her to start as a kindergartener or is the proof from the HS program i am using enough?
thanks
megan

Return to “Homeschool Law”