Alabama homeschool laws

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JimAmy
User

Alabama homeschool laws

Postby JimAmy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm

We are considering relocating to Alabama in the next few years. We have looked at the homeschool laws and they appear to be a bit complicated. Can anyone give me some insight into how things work down there. We are in Illinois and have no restirictions all. Thanks so much for any help.

Amy

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:18 pm

JimAmy
User

Alabama Law

Postby JimAmy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:25 pm

rocketcitymama
User

Postby rocketcitymama » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Keep in mind what a church school is, is VERY loosely defined. I started my own "church school" with my synagogue since no Jewish church school option, as far as I could tell, existed in the state of Alabama.

Pretty much starting a church school is to get a "church or group of churches" to simply decide that it exists and agreeing to keep a record of attendance (which parents submit themselves) and agreeing to inform the public school system if the child is withdrawn.

There are numerous other cover schools that are, as law requires, linked to a church, but do not require church membership or a signed statement of faith. Many are for all intents and purposes secular.

It may seem a bit strange, but the way it works out in reality actually enables an enormous amount of freedom to the homeschooler.

Critics argue that it disables the state from assuring all children are being adequately educated, but I'll take that risk in order to preserve parental freedom when it comes to educating their own children.

Return to “Homeschool Law”