Page 1 of 1

I live in CT new please help

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 am
by angel726
I want to pull my daughter out of school and finish the year home schooling her. I have issues with school.. Well I have no clue what to do where to start or anything. Can anyone help me with links on laws for CT or where to start to take her out and start homeschooling. Please help on anything as I am clueless on everything.. Thank you

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm
by Theodore

In CT, you have to file a Notice of Intent within ten days of starting homeschooling. You also need to keep a portfolio of work, which can be inspected annually. Instruction must be "equivalent" to that found in the public schools, but what that is isn't specifically defined, and the Board of Education doesn't really do a comparison from your portfolio, so as long as you're covering the same subjects in a good-faith manner, you should be fine.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:45 pm
by Sparks
We just withdrew our child and it is very easy, write your own letter of withdraw.

I would recommend joining the HSDLA, and wait until your membership has been confirmed before withdrawing your child.

I followed the instruction here to withdraw;

If your school wants you to fill out any forms that require you to report status of your child you can refuse as it is not enforceable.

Another useful website:

Curriculum that we are using (Monarch), this has been very good as it retains all tests and progress. As the teacher you need to grade hand written essays and thesis but that is the joy of homeschooling.

Hope this helps.