Ohio Homeschooling Question (HS)

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tymo
User

Ohio Homeschooling Question (HS)

Postby tymo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm

My niece lives in Ohio with her father, and has been being homeschooled for the past year. When the decision was made, we found a homeschooling center that could provides most of her education, and her father enrolled her. He contacted the district by phone to let them know that she would not be returning and would be homeschooled, but never sent a written NOI, and thus, never received a letter recognizing her as a homeschooler.

Now, I've stepped in to help make sure she is prepared for life after the high school years. I live out of the state, and for most of the year, out of the country, but am afraid that her father has dropped the ball and am trying to fill in the missing pieces. She has already been home-educated for 1 year, and has taken classes in all of the required areas. We are working to make sure she has what she needs for a homeschool diploma, and I have a few questions:

1. Since her father did not notify the district last year, what can we expect when we notify the district now? Is there any chance they will not approve her as a homeschooler, or back-charge him with truancy?
2. I have already prepared a NOI for this year, along with the curriculum addendum. Should I make one for last year, and send it along as well, or only for this year?
3. I have narrative report cards for her work at the homeschool center. I understand that she is supposed to submit a narrative evaluation (in lieu of testing) to the superintendent each year. I have also seen some very simply narrative evaluation forms on the PEACH website, which need to be signed by a certified teacher in Ohio. Can I use the narrative report cards by themselves, or the form from PEACH by itself? Do I send them together, or with any other documentation? Should I send the evaluation information with the NOI, or separately?
4. If I need to use a form completed by a licensed teacher, does anyone know of anyone in Clermont or Hamilton County that provides that service?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Ohio Homeschooling Question (HS)

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Homeschool Law”