I am ready to give up!

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bedashwood
User

I am ready to give up!

Postby bedashwood » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 pm

:hugs:

6 seems to be a hard year. It does get better, I promise. I devised a few strategies that helped through those years (because, oh, yes, they return every now and then!)

-have him teach. We use Math U See, which helped me to see the wisdom of the saying I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." With that they added, I teach and I know.
Having my son teach me was key in his learning.

-I took a standing 'date' each week where I went somewhere by myself. I needed the break.

-On that note, I had a standing date with my son where we would just go off the two of us and enjoy each other's company. No teaching, no lectures, just friendly talk to get to know him and have him feels special. Feeling loved = the ability to love others.

-last, two books: How To Talk So Kids Will Listen... and Easy To Love, Difficult To Discipline. There are specific phrases and tactics that my son responds to well, and also allow me to keep my dignity intact. It really works, and then the discipline carries over into how we talk to each other during lessons.

Take a break, mama. Whether it's a few hours or a year off from homeschooling, let yourself have what you need. It will be okay. Public school isn't the end of the world, and enrolling him doesn't mean that he has to stay there for 12 years. You can reassess at any time as your family needs change.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I have 3 boys who all fight like cats and dogs too. :) I know it's hard. Has your son ever been to school? I have a friend who sent her son to kindergarten, then pulled him out to homeschool him. When he was having bad behavior she would say "I'm gonna have to send you back to school". And he would cry and BEG her not to.

School is not so fun. Homeschooling is! Maybe your son doesn't know that if he hasn't attended a traditional school.

Have you tried taking things away? If his behavior is not good during school, then he loses things he loves. He must have a "teachable spirit". If not, he will lose tv, video games, going outside, playing with friends, toys, anything and everything he enjoys..........until he has the right attitude. I used to tell my older boys, "I'm going to put everything in the attic........you will have nothing left!" and just the threat was enough.

Let the little things go. Allow him to work independently as much as possible. I know it's hard to be his mom AND his teacher.

Here are some articles on homeschool burnout. -

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/burno ... urnout.htm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”