I don't know if I should switch out of public school

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tigersgrowl1093
User

I don't know if I should switch out of public school

Postby tigersgrowl1093 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Next year I will be a junior in high school. I go to an inner city public school and I am enrolled in all advanced courses. There is a policy at my school that based on your testing scores from eighth grade, you will be placed in advanced courses so because of this, there are many kids in all my classes unwilling to be there and learn and they disrupt the classes. I feel I am being robbed of my education and education is very important to me. I work great individually, I prefer it actually, but I am also a great leader in school and know how to socialize. I am not bullied or anything and the only reason I am looking into home schooling is for my education. Is this a smart decision? Should I just stick it out or should I enroll in home schooling and enroll in an online course? I can learn from just reading a book. My only problem is next year I'll be taking pre-calc and math is not my strongest course. This is a serious decision, one that cannot be taken lightly. I want to be a geneticist and so want to know if I'd be messing up my college chances by doing this. Can anyone guide me, tell me if they were in the same situation or give me advice? Thank you all.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:03 am

Since education is important to you, homeschooling would fit you perfectly. If you are motivated, you can receive a much better education at home. If you do everything right and make good grades, you should be accepted into the university of your choice. For pre-calc you could use a curriculum I love called Teaching Textbooks. Here's a link -

http://teachingtextbooks.com/

Also, here is a link for a great site all about homeschooling high school -

http://www.thehomescholar.com/

If you are being robbed of your education, then step out and make the change. You will need the permission and support of your parents. They could help you decide on your curriculum and grade your work, etc. or you could do school online.

Hope this helps!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:55 am

HomeschoolHighSchool
User

Postby HomeschoolHighSchool » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 pm

I am also going to be a junior in high school, and I just switched from public school to homeschool. It is something I have been considering for almost a year, and my parents and I know it is the best decision. Visit my blog for information on the curricula I chose. (I am also taking Pre-Calculus!)

HomeschoolHighSchool
User

Postby HomeschoolHighSchool » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

One more thing: many colleges love homeschoolers. You can contact your schools of choice just to make sure. It's important to be involved in extra curricular activities and to make sure you are being challenged.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”