Have you ever just wanted to quit?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Have you ever just wanted to quit?

Postby kkapfe » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:41 pm

We are in our second nine weeks of our fourth year of homeschooling. This is the first year that I have homeschooled 3 children at the same time. I know many of you homeschool more children than me so I'll probably get an eye roll from some of you. My oldest (4th grade) is very ADD. She takes her meds like she is supposed to but still spends 8 or so hours a day on her work. Yesterday she spent from 9:30-4 on her math homework which was only 6 problems. She only left the table 3 times, 2 for a bathroom break and once to go make her some lunch to bring back to the table.

My middle one (2nd grade) is pretty smart and pretty much on grade level with everything. She is very much a "middle" child, constantly fighting/picking at her sisters instead of doing her work.

My baby is 5 (K) and is ahead for her age. She reads really great and understands many number concepts, most likely from listening to her sisters for 4 years.

I'm just really tired of feeling like I only yell all day (it's probably a bit of an exaggeration!). I spend more time saying "leave her alone" and "get back to your work" than I actually do teaching. I just wonder if they would behave better having someone else instruct them.

Here's the thing...I am absolutely AGAINST public school. I am a product of it. Being a homeschooler, I am fairly knowledgeable about what is going on in education in this country and I just can't stomach sending my girls there. I would love to send them to private Christian school but since we are a one-income family, and I haven't worked since we brought our baby home, affording to send them out is pretty much not an option either.

Does anybody understand? I need some help!

4given
User

Postby 4given » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:23 pm

I do understand. In fact, when my third son was born (with severe reflux), I DID throw in the towel. I put my 2 older sons into public school and was able to convince myself that it was for the best... at least for a couple of years. After that, I brought them back home, with a much different perspective. I had been too rigid, strictly by the book, etc. The curriculum said it, then by golly it had to happen. This time around, I'm much more relaxed, not lenient, mind you... but, I can handle a departure from the schedule (usually :lol: ). We even had a 4th son since then who has Down Syndrome.

I can't tell you what is best for your family. However, I CAN tell you that I wish I had NEVER caved in. My 3rd grade son was bringing home so much homework, I may as well have been teaching myself. That's just the tip of the iceburg for us, though.

Perhaps this is a great time to take a little break, possibly regroup. Maybe plan some field study opportunities. I dunno.

I don't want to diminish your experience at all... My experience was that when I looked back on the situation, it wasn't nearly as earth-shattering as I had thought. Post-partum, maybe? I would encourage you to somehow step back. Don't do anything rash.

Sorry for the ramble... hope I made sense. No eye-rolling going on here.

bedashwood
User

ready to give up

Postby bedashwood » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:05 am

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”