Homeschooling on the go

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tgen
User

Homeschooling on the go

Postby tgen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:51 pm

I am a newlywed, in the process of starting a travel business, and hoping to be a parent soon. I was wondering if homeschooling would be a good option for me (as in bringing the kids with me while traveling). From my point of view, it seems that the children would benefit from experiencing different cultures firsthand, and learning how to socialize with people from various cultures from an early age.

I spent a brief time teaching high school in the public school system, and what struck me the most about the students was their lack of desire to improve their situation/go to college/etc and their disrespect for the teachers, their fellow students and themselves.

I also felt like the majority (not all) of the parents felt that if their child was having any sort of problems, be they academic or behavioral, that it was the fault of the school and/or the responsibilty of the school to solve the problem.

From my personal experiences as a student, I wasn't particularly impressed with either the public schools or the private schools. Although I must admit that the private school that I attended, to me, seemed more of a means for the rich to segregate their children from any "undesireable" segments of society (yes, racism is alive and well in the south), or to "buy" a diploma for their academically challenged children (the ninth grade curricula was on par with what I learned in public school in the fifth grade).

Of course, I'm putting the cart before the horse, since it isn't a given that I will have children (I'm 37 years young. Every time I talk to my mom she asks me if I'm pregnant yet :roll: ...), but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
T.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:59 am

I believe HSing can work in most situations, as long as it remains your priority. It may be a little more challenging to maintain a routine, but I feel that it could be done.

bchsmom
User

anything will work

Postby bchsmom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 am

if you believe in what you are doing and why you are doing it.

We don't view homeschooling as something we do because I see fault in other education systems. We homeschool because we feel it's the best choice of all educational choices, for us.

Homeschooling provides so much flexibility. Why learn about geography and culture from a textbook if you can supply those experiences in real life? We travel around a fair bit, each trip the kids pick two subjects to take with them. That keeps a bit of routine in place so that when we return home, it doesn't take much to hop back in to what normally do.

I do feel, if given the right set of circumstances, homeschooling will provide a much more culturally and world aware childhood and education.
Michelle

LloydBurrell
User

Postby LloydBurrell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 am

I myself find homeschooling preferable. There are a lot of benefits our children can take advantage of if exposed to such an educational system. But, in the end, it's a matter of personal decision. And, of course, money.

Lloyd

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”