how to not get annoyed at grandma (for different opinions)

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Krissy_beltonMOmom
User

how to not get annoyed at grandma (for different opinions)

Postby Krissy_beltonMOmom » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:42 am

everydaylou
User

Postby everydaylou » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, in this case, I think I would simply not tell her!

It really isn't any of her business, so I'd do my own thing for a few months, wait until she compliments DD, and THEN say, "yes, we've really noticed her thriving in this area since we brought her back home!"
Leah

Visit my blog: http://lifeaslou.blogsome.com/

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 am

It never works to attack someone else for their own shortcomings. It is a defensive tactic and let's her know that she can get to you. I think we all tend to lash back when we do not have a prepared statement, so have one prepared:

"I am thankful that you love your grandchild so much to be so concerned, but that as her parents both my husband and I are in agreement that we will homeschool her at this time. I welcome your questions and your support."

If she is obviously against it and keeps bringing it up, change the subject until she gets the message that the subject is off limits, or take a more direct approach and say that you will not discuss the subject of homeschooling with her...and then don't discuss it!

comusher
User

Postby comusher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:10 pm

As long as you and your husband are on the same page on the subject there is nothing to worry about. I know it can be annoying and hard to take when someone (especially grandma) tells you what you are doing wrong, but let her know it is your decision to make. Let her know to support you or take her negative attitude away from the family.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”