Changed our minds...coming back to Homeschool~

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

roo
User

Changed our minds...coming back to Homeschool~

Postby roo » Wed May 06, 2009 6:13 am

After 3 horrible nasty months of being in public school at a new school we don't like it at all.. We had a nasty run of it before but this just settled it...what happened was Allie my youngest daughter didn't like homeschooling, the two of us would get into horrible fights. She is 10 and we have never had that between us so it was really horrible and hubby and I thought we were doing wrong. Well, let me tell ya, we found a elem about 13 miles from us and set up there with both Aric and Allie, a bit nervous about it but at the same time hoping the kids would love it. Well, it didn't work out.

A boy in Aric's class asked him if he was straight, Aric not knowing what that meant told him no. Well, that started a downward trend. Aric is now labeled a Gay and being called horrible names. Kids are treating him like he has the plague and are staying away from. I have contacted the school and princpal over and over again. And they just talk to the kids, no punishment. My Aric is miserable and Allie is not far from it.

So we are going to finish out the last 3 weeks in public school and then in the fall we are going back to homeschool. We will of course have to repurchase the books as I had sold them on ebay...not a good move let me tell ya..

We will never go back to public school now! NC schools are not what I want my kids to be a part of!

thanks and talk more soon!
Kelly
Blessed By The Lord~
Wife to Dale
Mom to 2dd 2ds
2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Thu May 07, 2009 6:04 am

Jill

mykidsmom
User

Postby mykidsmom » Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

I feel so bad for your son. Is he going to be able to handle another three weeks of this horrible treatment?

roo
User

Postby roo » Tue May 12, 2009 6:02 am

We've taken him and my daughter out already! We had enough when the principal asked if he could be making it up. I was furious! The teacher wrote us a letter letting us know how hard she tried to get it to stop and how sorry and embarrassed she was over how he was treated. So obsiously it was't made up. She, the teacher was the one calling parents to no avail. She was a nice teacher and Aric really liked her but the kids were so mean.

Thanks!
Kelly
Blessed By The Lord~

Wife to Dale

Mom to 2dd 2ds

2 tabby cats and 1 baby bunny named Moses!

mykidsmom
User

thank goodness

Postby mykidsmom » Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Thank goodness you pulled them out. I don't think anyone should be subject to this type of ongoing treatment. I think I would be afraid that I would lose it on these kids and the principal. The school staff was just not doing enough for your family. These mean kids should have been suspended for such terrible behavior, or at least threatened with it. Either way though your kids will be better off at home with you. Good luck on your homeschooling adventure next year! I hope your son will be able to put this behind him quickly.

vmsgirl71
User

Postby vmsgirl71 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 am

Barbie
"momma" to Brandon; 14 and two pups, Bugsy 6 and Milo 4 mos!

Jenlynn4673
User

Postby Jenlynn4673 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 pm

Jen
Mom to 2 boys
7 and 8
Officially Homeschooling Jan 2007!

janaleigh
User

Postby janaleigh » Mon May 18, 2009 9:22 am

Your post made me so sad...I'm glad you pulled them out and did not wait until the end of the year. Sending hugs your way...I'm sure that was incredibly stressful for you and your family. Our kids are only little for awhile and I'm sure they will learn so much more with you than in that environment.
Jana marriend to Mike 20 Years
2 Sons, ages 15 and 17
Homeschooling 7+ years
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
http://www.summerhouseliving.com

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 am

I am disgusted by the lack of ongoing support for kids being bullied at school. It is just as bad in Australia.

People underestimate the ongoing effect that bullying can have on kids... well into adulthood. I know.
Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

andyjessop
User

Postby andyjessop » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:47 am

This is such a terrible situation. No kid should have to go through this in the pursuit of their studies. Unfortunately this is all too common in this day and age. It's too easy for kids to be bullied - the bullies have far more resources up their sleeves than do the teachers, who are well behind them technologically. It is a shame that it has come to this, but homeschooling and online schooling can provide the answers.
Andy Jessop
Oxford Learning Partnership, providing for colleges from the University of Oxford, UK
www.oxfordlearningpartnership.co.uk

maherwoman
User

Postby maherwoman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Rosie*

itsrks
User

Postby itsrks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:05 am

It's sad how much kids have to deal with at school. I have more than one friend whose child got labeled gay because they didn't want to date.

My daughter really wanted to go to middle school so we let her. She came home crying the first day and I told her she had to try AT LEAST three days before throwing in the towel.

The second day she cried even more. She had found someone that she thought could be her friend and then this girl talked about drinking beer for breakfast.

Well, I gave up and let her homeschool and she has never once asked again. She ended up going to the Community College early and that was a much better experience.
Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Kelly Z.
User

Postby Kelly Z. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 am

Welcome back! I feel your pain public schools can be down right depressing at times. I had similar experiences which brought me to the conclusion that I'd do whatever it takes to look out for the best interest of my children and not send them to public schools.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”