Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Amandaslone85
User

Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Postby Amandaslone85 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 pm

LLMom
User

mistakes

Postby LLMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:17 am

I homeschooled 19 years and made plenty of mistakes. I think the two biggest ones are my children did not have enough social opportunities especially as teenagers, and that I didn't have one son tested for learning disabilities because I was afraid of the school district. I did get him some help through a special needs program for homeschoolers, but I don't think it was enough. The mistake that affected me the most was I didn't take care of myself, and I experienced burnout several times. Most of the time, I was able to recover from it, but a few years ago I did not because it had turned to depression. Moms, take care of yourselves. This is a hard job.
Rest for the weary homeschool mom For burnt out homeschool moms, moms considering school, and former homeschool moms.

MagnoliaHoney
User

Postby MagnoliaHoney » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

Heather

abarua46
User

Postby abarua46 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:03 am

rednanasteph
User

Re: Homeschooling... what mistakes did you make?

Postby rednanasteph » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:45 pm

AmberP
User

Postby AmberP » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:30 am

I don't think I made many mistakes. But reading your comments, I realize that I avoided many as well. I'm afraid of making more mistakes because my oldest son is only 12. But I hope that everything will be ok.

markmark
User

Postby markmark » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:56 am

Well, since the pandemic struck, I've been involved in homeschooling my nephew, which turned to be a steep learning process for all parties involved. It still is. In some ways, it was great in that we could avoid the sort of ugly academic competition that is rampant in schools, but we also feel rudderless at times. We now rely on using supplementary study materials and explainers to educate ourselves so that we can in turn help my nephew. We divide subjects amongst ourselves to that end. There are plenty of free resources out there though. Starting from Wikipedia to sites that are age-group-specific. A simple online search yielded many results. If it helps, my nephew and i are currently using this module on factors of production.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”