Pulling son with ADHD out of PS to HS

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

christine540
User

Pulling son with ADHD out of PS to HS

Postby christine540 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Hello, I am new to this site. I'm a certified teacher who provides home daycare after being unable to find a teaching job in my state; it's very competitive and lay offs have been numerous.

I have 3 kids ages 10, 12, 15. I have always been open to the concept of HS but my 2 girls did so well in PS I let them continue.

My son, however, is the 12 y/o and has ADHD. He had an IQ of 121 in first grade and is very bright, is an A student but since he began middle school this past fall, his grades are now B, C D and one F. He has stated he dislikes the changing of classes, having 7 teachers and 7 different routines to adapt to throughout the day. He cannot remember to turn in his homework no matter how many strategies we have developed to help him.

I'm weighing the pro's and con's of HS him this fall. He is open to it and said he will do what I decide.

I have this idea, however false it may be, that I am doing something wrong by him if I take him out of a societal school. But I know he is not receiving the best education at this time.

We have discussed him doing 7th grade at home and if he has settled down a bit, perhaps he could resume 8th grade back at school.

Has anyone ever sent their kids back to school after HS?

hillbillywoman
User

Pulled Oldest Child Out of Public School in 7th grade

Postby hillbillywoman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Why have children if you are going to turn them over to the government to raise?

garethjh
User

Postby garethjh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 am

JamBabyVA
User

Postby JamBabyVA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”