Queensland Homeschoolers?

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Tiarali
User

Queensland Homeschoolers?

Postby Tiarali » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:58 pm

Hey. I recognise I'm probably the only one here, lol! BUT just in case, I'm trying to find out what Education Queensland's policies are regarding homeschooling. I mean, I know that you either have to go through an accredited school of distance education OR submit a dispensation to homeschool, and have your application approved. I also know that this application has to include a copy of your intended curriculum, and that the child has to be taught by one of their own parents (or a registered teacher). We've found an accredited school that we will be happy to go through if the other way is too difficult - but it's an extra $550 a year! (Before you buy your curriculum, that is!)

My questions are: what are the requirements of education queensland regarding your homeschool? Do they expect you to teach all 9 key learning areas, regardless of their value? Do they expect you to keep school for a certain amount of time each day regardless of whether the work is done? And do they come into your home when they assess you? And how frequently do they deny a person's application - is the process simply a formality so that they still feel in control, or will they seriously consider knocking us back?

I know that one school of distance education simply offers the ACE curriculum, which simply covers english, maths, science, and social studies. But I'm not sure if that's all that's officially required for a homeschool, or whether they're just being flexible with that school.

I'm trying to find out via word of mouth, but it seems many homeschoolers here (not that I've actually met many yet) either go through a school or simply do it illegally.

Theodore

Queensland doesn't require nearly that level of detail...

Postby Theodore » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:29 pm

From Across the States of Australia:
http://www.hslda.org/hs/international/Australia/200212050.asp

In Queensland, homeschoolers are required to be "registered" or licensed teachers. According to when homeschool leader Terry Harding, who represents over 500 homeschool families, "We practice non compliance!" For the vast majority of homeschoolers, this strategy is working.

http://www.optionality.net/mag/jun95a.html

Apparently the government hasn't had a lot of success prosecuting homeschoolers who aren't in compliance with the law, and the law may be changed to make things easier on homeschoolers in the future. See the Home Schooling Review heading in the following page for details:

http://education.qld.gov.au/publication/production/reports/

And in response to your exact question, from CS-23: Home Schooling: Procedures:
http://education.qld.gov.au/corporate/doem/curristu/cs-23000/sections/procedur.html

3.1 Details of the curriculum to be used are required. Parents/guardians will be responsible for providing documentation of a program which should provide adequately for the academic, social, emotional and physical development of the student. When formulating the program, the curriculum should:
(a) have regard for the age, ability, aptitude and development of the student concerned;
(b) take account and promote continuity of the learning experiences of the student concerned;
(c) be responsive to the changing needs of the student concerned;
(d) reflect and take into account current understandings related to educational and other development of students;and
(e) be supported by sufficient and suitable resources.

3.2 Notification is required of the source of the curriculum to be used. If the curriculum to be used is developed by the parent, a copy of the curriculum is to be provided.

This should hopefully answer all your questions.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:18 am

Hi I just joined this forum. I'm from Queensland too. I'm thinking of taking the 'non compliance' road although it does scare me a little. If I have to i have thought about using an American Umbrella school and simply saying my children are privet school students.
Jo from Australia

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:16 pm

The way Australian states are revising their education laws it is bit risque trying to be legal.
What is approved today ,may well be illegal tomorrow.
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:24 am

Jo from Australia

Joeleene
User

Legalities of Homeschooling in Queensland

Postby Joeleene » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:21 am

My children have been schooled in a Qld State School for a number of years now and I am looking to Homeschool them instead.
What do I tell the school (as they will want to know what school to send my childrens records to)?
Can I ask to have these records? Do I need them?
Has anybody out there had their children in a state school before homeschooling?
What did you do?
Please help me. I know I am leaving all this very last minute to start homeschooling this year. I am putting that in God's hands.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Joeleene

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:51 am

Jo from Australia

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”