help for math and science

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

awest7268
User

help for math and science

Postby awest7268 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm

My 11 yo daughter is in 6th grade. She has ADHD and struggles with reading and math, anyone have any suggestions? Also looking for a good science curriculum. She needs something to keep her interest. [/b]
Awest

dillsmom
User

Postby dillsmom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi Can't help you.Just letting you know .I know how you feel.My sons 15 with add and I ordered apologia science,physical science which is not gonna work for him because knowing algebra is required now I have to send this back.I will tell you mathusee is what I decided on for math and I'm really liking.it I think this is gonna work really well.Its costly but worth it.If you find a science pass it on.

sheng25
User

Postby sheng25 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi,

I used to be a private tutor for years and helped a lot of kids with learning disabilities including ADD and ADHD. These students as you know lose interest easily especially from schoolwork. They prefer to socialize often. Sometimes I learned that they especially have difficulty focusing when a teaching style is not compatible or simply a parent is helping them rather than another authority figure.

mathops1
User

Prealgebra/Algebra

Postby mathops1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Check out the free lessons on mathops.com. There are videos with teenage honor students teaching the math. The lessons read aloud to the students. There is a lot built in to help an ADD student stay focused.

If you have any questions, send me an email: mathops2@gmail.com.
Kathy Ferguson
www.mathops.com

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 am

ADHD is often easily solved by just having your child do some vigorous exercise before studying, then segmenting the studying itself into 30-minute chunks with short breaks. Cutting back on TV, computer time, etc. will also generally improve a child's ability to concentrate, and for obvious reasons sugar should be avoided.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”