Homeschooling for Dyslexic child using a private teacher

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

PE
User

Homeschooling for Dyslexic child using a private teacher

Postby PE » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:55 pm

We are considering homeschooling our dyslexic child who gets very little help at school except the extra tutoring we pay for.
We are wondering if anyone else has hired a private teacher?
The state we are in allows it, but I would like some insight from other parents who have tried this or used a private teacher for part of the homeschooling process.
I understand this is rare and that homeschooling is traditionally done by parents. Our goal is very intensive help for the next year or two to allow our child to catch up and not feel left behind or the worst one in the class.
Thanks in advance.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 am

Whatever works for you - there's nothing inherently wrong about hiring a tutor to supplement your child's education. Given, dyslexia is one of those things that just requires a lot of work, I don't know that there's a whole lot a tutor can do that you can't do yourself after a brief read of proper techniques. Really boils down to whether you can make more money hourly than you're paying to the tutor.

LEE
User

Postby LEE » Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 am

I am dyslexic. I am also left handed and bear scars from having it hit in school to change to right. My mother had me take piano lessons where you do different things with both hands at the same time. Later I would amuse people by writing different things with each hand at the same time.
1. Have your child work in clay. It uses both hands at the same time. Make a ___. This is how that word looks when printed [written] and now I want you to print it. [When printing say each letter's name and then something like: "In this word it stands for the sound of __." Always have the child talk. What you are doing is tying eyes, ears and hands together.
2. Words like saw and was are difficult. You need to explain that in our language - English - the word ALWAYS starts close to this [left and touch it] hand. There are other languages which start next to the other hand and some which start at the top of the page and go down. When we get good at printing we can fill out puzzles called crossword puzzles and then we write down. Sometimes, there are other puzzles where the words go at angles like they are falling down or climbing up. [You may make up your own with the reading or spelling words.]
3. When talking about directions [See #2] move BOTH of your hands in
the appropriate direction and then have your child tell what you just said means to him/her.
4. Making the letter in clay, writing it in sand [cake roll pan with sand]. painting it with water on the sidewalk or a piece of tile, then with chalk,
and finally with pencil gives the repetition needed but the various materials keep boredom away.
5. People who learn using this method have fewer problems if they have a stroke when older. Both sides of the brain use language.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed May 16, 2012 6:58 am

Lee, those are very good suggestions!

But it grieves me that you were physically abused when you were a child because you were left-handed. :cry:
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”