Autism and curriculum

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Boopercat
User

Autism and curriculum

Postby Boopercat » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 am

Shurely English is working well for my little ones. :)

phiferan
User

Postby phiferan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 pm

I work with a child with autism and for grammar, I love Winston Grammar, it uses cards that the child manipulates to learn grammar. And, just like Saxon Math, it builds on what you learned in the past and reviews it with every new lesson, so you don't forget earlier lessons. It is superior to what is found in the public schools and you easily order the answer keys right on line. :idea: Here is the hyperlink http://www.winstongrammar.com/index.php
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Matthew 22:39

OliveOly
User

Postby OliveOly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:17 am

My son has autism. He is in school this year, as he wanted to try to make some friends ( very difficult for him). We're not sure how it is going.
I expect we will be HSing before long.
This is what we did -- much of it we still do even though he is in school.

Handwriting Without Tears - he had significant fine motor problems and he really did cry when he had to write.

Good and Evil -- comic Bible ( he relates well to pictures describing each scene he is reading)

Usborne World History -- good illustrations for history concepts and events

50 Famous Stories retold --read aloud by me and narrated back by him

McGuffey Reader -- we read together and he answered questions aloud.

Time4Learning -- for Language arts and Math -- online program that we used for about 30 minutes a day. He adored it.

Other math was Ray's Arithmetic very old slim book -- aloud and with beans as counters.

For science we were Florida animals -- sighting them, drawing them, and
visiting museums.

We did NO workbooks. He hates them.

He does better with "real" learning.

Hope this helps.

retromom
User

Postby retromom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:31 pm

My son has aspergers syndrome (a form of autism). He hated just about all school work put in front of him. I tried the old "Richard" and Jane books from the 1940's, 50's and 60's. You can't actually say his real name that starts with a D in this forum. Anyway, he's read half of a 194 page book in a couple weeks. The art work in those old reader books was beautiful, at least in the 40's and 50's. They took their time painting in details and making the picture look like it has depth. They used repeatative reading which helps my son remember the words. He got very frustrated with Hooked on Phonics and was bored to death with it. I'm still working on the other subjuects though. The library is a good place to look for old reader books, or ebay.

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Retromom, where did you find the "Richard" and Jane books? That's what I learned to read from myself. I'd love to curl up by the fire with a few of those again and have a few laughs showing them to my DD.

retromom
User

Postby retromom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Look for books on e-bay you can find just about anything. D and Jane started in the 1920's. They're educational on history too as far as the way kids played, how they dressed, and how people lived back then. The art work went down hill when they got to the 60's. The kids looked really cute in the older editions. The "Think and Do" workbooks are also available to go with them.

wendels
User

Postby wendels » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:28 am

Hi,
I have a daughter as well on the spectrum. She does very well with visual learning. When she was younger she loved jumpstart world but that only goes up to 2nd grade. Also, Time4learning is great. They show them what to do as well as explaining it all verbally.

Also, my daughter started watching closed captions on the tv when she was about 6 (shes now 9) and she said that it really helped her to learn to speak and read.

tsmama24
User

Postby tsmama24 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 am

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”