is one hour a day enough for a 3 yr old at 1 1/2 dev?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Radiance7
User

is one hour a day enough for a 3 yr old at 1 1/2 dev?

Postby Radiance7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Hello

I an new here and new to homeshooling.
I've notice "issues" with my son since he was 1, particularly on speech delay. I had him evaluated close to two but they said he was too young.

Hindsight is 20/20 I should have done a private evaluation instead of trusting the eval by the public school back then.

Now that he is 3 I took him again and I am told he has autism. I should get an appointment for the full report next week.

When he started the evaluation process weeks ago, his dad and I (we are divorced) started helping him at home, not really knowing really how, but educational DVD and one on one with him and we are seeing improvements in vocabulary (from 12 to 23 in two weeks) and on eye contact. he is also taking things to mouth less. still very hypersensitive to loud noises (but hey, I dont like them either, I get startled)

Well, becausue our unorganized attempts at home are bringing resources I am looking at homeschooling.

We are both doing something from 30min to an hour a day. Working with preschool books, children nooks, sticket books and children DVDs. most material or activities are for age 1-2.

Is 30 min to an hour enough, Is this something where if i do more per day I will see more improvement? I ask becasue I am considering cutting my hours at work (I work full time) but I would only do it if it is wordth it. I keep my benefits but my income gets reduced by 20%.
Maybe do it for a couple weeks and see if it works? is a two week trial enough. This would be just for the two weekdays I have him with me, i would pick him up at 2 right after his nap instead of 5:30.

What do you think?

Also, I am researching, but the mountains of information are a little overwhelming. can I ask here what is your recommended homeschooling program for a 1-2 year old mind into a 3yr body?**

**That is a generalization but you get the idea, he is at 3-4 when it comes to puzzles, motor skills and matching shapes

Thank you so much!

MamaLibby
User

Postby MamaLibby » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:34 pm

LIBBY unschooling mama to:
Ella, age 10
Caleb, age 8
Nick, age 6
Lydia, age 5
Adam, age 3
Linnea-Claire, age 20 months

Radiance7
User

Postby Radiance7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 am

Munchie33
User

Postby Munchie33 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:12 am

MamaLibby
User

Postby MamaLibby » Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Symptoms of sensory disorder http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... klist.html

Fine motor developmental checklist http://www.sensory-processing-disorder. ... chart.html

Hope this helps!
LIBBY unschooling mama to:

Ella, age 10

Caleb, age 8

Nick, age 6

Lydia, age 5

Adam, age 3

Linnea-Claire, age 20 months

Tashathomson
User

Postby Tashathomson » Wed May 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”