HOME SCHOOLING SON WITH ADHD

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

cgholden
User

HOME SCHOOLING SON WITH ADHD

Postby cgholden » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:35 pm

HI MY SON HAS ADHD AND UP UNTIL THIS SCHOOL YEAR HE DID FINE IN PUBLIC SCHOOL BUT NOW HE'S IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND THE PROBLEMS JUST KEEP COMING. i WASN'T SURE ABOUT SENDING HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE AND NOW HE'S FAILING 3 CLASSES JUST BECAUSE OF HOMEWORK ISSUES. wHEN HE HAS A TEST HE GETS GOOD GRADES ON THEM THEN WHEN IT COMES TIME FOR A PROJECT OR HOME WORK ITS ANOTHER STORY. ANYWAY IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE ON TEACHING A CHILD WITH ADHD I'D BE GREATFUL.

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:23 am

My son is ADHD and I hs him for 4th, 10th through graduation. He's in college now. Did your son have an IEP? Special services while in school? My son had special accomodation attached to homework, so that was a none issue.

Are you sure he is at grade level? Good grades don't necessarily equate to being at grade level. My son was given "answers" to make it appear he passed standardized tests, so suspected they probably also did it in other areas of his schooling.

The benefit of hsing is to choose what works for your ds. IF he can learn by not doing much homework, great! Assign the reading and administer the test. If you are satsified with the results move on, if not explain to him why you are concerned and what he needs to do. Let him participate in choosing the curriculum/books - my dd16 is ADD and does better when she can help choose.

As I hs my son I felt his writing skills were severely lacking and he gave me such grief in doing his writing assignments, which I think I got one story and one poem from him the whole time. His penmanship and spelling are still an issue, but that kid went and got a 99 out of 100 on his writing portion of his college entrance test for hsers (not sat/act). He has yet to explain that to me. so I realize now these kids know things and don't always provide enough evidence that they "really" know it til put to the real test.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”